Windows Need Ideas for a Game :D /CLOSE/

F

ForbiddenLegend

I'm currently making a game called Mashed. I have the menu and some of the game system ready, but I don't really know what I want to do with the game. How I kind of have the game right now is mashing a object with a ton of effects :p. I could also post screenshots upon request :D

jazzzar

this is not actually something to ask about, if you do not know what the game will even be about, get the core idea done than ask about new things to add, but just asking like this will not help at all maybe

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Games need a challenge that can be varied in multiple ways across the game and that is either fun or rewarding. Try to come up with ways to add all that to your game. I guess you've gotten the fun bit down, but you could add in in-game currency that are awarded for mashing things and allow the player to buy new stuff... that'd add in the rewarding bit, and possibly some variety. The hard bit would be challenge. I guess the easiest way to do this would be to have time limits you need to mash the stuff in, maybe more than one object sometimes, and then introduce harder objects as you go along. Then the player needs to buy new mashers and weapons and stuff, and also use the correct one for the job. Like some things are easier to mash horizontally than vertically, and some are easier to smash with a baseball bat or hammer than mashing with a hydraulic press, and so on.

G

Galladhan

Do you know that a game named Mashed already exists? :p

Mashed.png

G

Galladhan

@Galladhan

Did you just look up "mashed the
video game" or did you actually play this?

EDIT: I just noticed that the reply wasn't from the OP, pardon. Well, anyway... i tried the game (cause i had to), but it wasn't a great game, if i remember correctly. It just came to my mind and i thought to point it out in case @ForbiddenLegend didn't know that.

Last edited:

RangerX

Right now you're doing it wrong. You don't start a project and then try to figure out what it will be.
You figure out what it will be and THEN you start the project.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd kinda interpret this as the OP having a game idea and just not knowing how to expand it for a whole game and/or evolve it rather than being completely clueless.

F

ForbiddenLegend

Right now you're doing it wrong. You don't start a project and then try to figure out what it will be.
You figure out what it will be and THEN you start the project.
I've Figured that out :p

F

ForbiddenLegend

Do you know that a game named Mashed already exists? :p

View attachment 1881
Games need a challenge that can be varied in multiple ways across the game and that is either fun or rewarding. Try to come up with ways to add all that to your game. I guess you've gotten the fun bit down, but you could add in in-game currency that are awarded for mashing things and allow the player to buy new stuff... that'd add in the rewarding bit, and possibly some variety. The hard bit would be challenge. I guess the easiest way to do this would be to have time limits you need to mash the stuff in, maybe more than one object sometimes, and then introduce harder objects as you go along. Then the player needs to buy new mashers and weapons and stuff, and also use the correct one for the job. Like some things are easier to mash horizontally than vertically, and some are easier to smash with a baseball bat or hammer than mashing with a hydraulic press, and so on.
For instance I have a potato right now, but you could buy a strawberry or something else to mash. Thanks! I'm going to post a "Demo" or a .5 version of this game once I work on it a little more on GameJolt

N

NQShabazz

What if the players were like jello or something and you jump, aim, and mash in the direction of aim?

Here are some example mechanics:
  • Players that mash the floor are a bit stunned, but players that mash something bounce and can move around.
  • There is no jump button. Players "jump" by mashing upwards
    • Two players that mash into each other bounce off (maybe get stunned a bit?)
    • Downward mashes can kill
  • Players can charge their mash
    • Players slow/stop midair when charging midair
    • Players cannot change aim direction while charging
    • In a mash collision, the player with the lesser charge dies
The above are all mechanics that could probably work on their own as well as all together

Z

zendraw

im kinda like in the same situation like you Forbidden. but im not sure if thats a bad thing? not to know what your going to do with it, shuld you do somthing with it, shuld you know what to do? why shuld you do when it simply happens? why bother if its fun? these questions circle my head sometimes. but thisis a nice topic and im also curius what people think about this. shuld you add stuff if the game is fun the way it is. also regarding Yal`s first post, me personally i dont care much about challenges and the times ive had most fun is when i didnt care about progression, the moment i start caring about progression it stops being fun and after a while i drop the game. what do you guys think about this. do you experience the same, and also what do you think about a game without a sense of progression?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
For instance I have a potato right now, but you could buy a strawberry or something else to mash. Thanks! I'm going to post a "Demo" or a .5 version of this game once I work on it a little more on GameJolt
Or a bag of french fries - I'd imagine a strawberry is EASIER to mash. French fries would scatter if you mash the bag the wrong way, and you only clear the level if you manage to mash all of them.