Design Need Help With Publishing

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Kivelocity, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Kivelocity

Kivelocity Member

How do I publish and where do i share my published games? How can I get people to test and play my game?
    Is it a good idea to send them a file to edit and an installer on the forums to recruit play testers?

2. Edu Shola

Edu Shola Member

what platform was your game compiled for?

3. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

If it's just Windows then use itch or gamejolt. Both are good places to upload your games - even if they are only in an early playable state. You can tag them as being beta versions if you have to.

4. dannyjenn

dannyjenn Member

Maybe I misunderstand your question, but both of those sound like bad ideas.

"file to edit" - Unless you plan to release the game as open-source, you should never send the editable file to anyone who isn't on your team or whom you don't know personally. Because if the game's any good, and you give away the project folder, somebody is probably going to steal it and perhaps release it before you even have the chance to do so yourself.

"installer" - If your game is still in development, an installer seems unnecessary. And even if your game is ready for release, an installer might not always be a good idea. Some people download the game and then see that it's an installer and then think, "Too much trouble" and delete it right off the bat. Or other people might only have access to shared computers, and they might download it but not be able to install it due to the administrator's permission settings.

Kivelocity likes this.
  5. The Video Gamester

The Video Gamester Member

This is great advice. I always build to a zip file for testers because of this. When I test others games and see its an install I always groan internally. Itch is a good site to try out. There is a WIP forum here on the community. I have had a lot of success taking my laptop with me out in public and asking random people of various age groups to try my game for feedback. Especially on trains and buses where people are usually not so busy and usually bord.

6. Kivelocity

Kivelocity Member

Thanks for the tips guys.

7. Edu Shola

Edu Shola Member

yea itch.io is a good start. I posted my first game there