GameMaker Need Help With Player True/False State

B

BoxFan

Hi,
I'm new to GameMaker and have run into an issue. I want the player to be able to interact with multiple objects like doors and signs with a single button. I figured the most efficient way to do this was to have the player character enter a state that the interactables would then respond to (like displaying a message or sending the player to another room). I've got it working about half-way.

I've got a really simple sign that I'm using as a guinea pig of sorts. When I walk up to the sign and hit space (which puts the player character into "state = true") it displays the message just fine. But if I've already hit space then the "state" still equals "true", and the sign still displays the message on collision.
Is there a way to bring the player character back to "state = false" to prevent this from happening?

Here's what I'm using to put the player into "state = true" (moose = true). It also prevents them from spamming the button because it plays a sound and I thought it was annoying when the sounds overlapped too much. There's also some placeholder animation in there.
Code:
moosetime--;
if key_moose && moosetime < 0
{
    moosetime = 15;
    audio_play_sound(choose(sndMoose1, sndMoose2), 1, false);
    moose = true;
    moosetime--;
    if moose == true
    {
        image_angle += (max(0, 180));
    }
    while moosetime < 0
    {
        moose = false;
    }
}
And here's the code used to display the message from the sign.
Code:
if place_meeting(x, y, objMoose) && objMoose.moose = true
{
    new_message = instance_create_depth(x, y, -999, objMessage);
    objMessage.text = "HELLO!!";

}

if instance_exists(objMessage) && keyboard_check(vk_space)
{
    instance_destroy(objMessage);
}
Any help would be much appreciated

TheouAegis

Get rid of

while moosetime < 0
{
moose = false;
}

The very very first few linesshouldbe

moosetime--;
if moosetime < 0
moose = false;

B

BoxFan

Wow thank you so so much that did it!!

I need to start focusing on order of operations more..
I also had moose set to false in the create event which I guess led me to think that that was somehow its default state or something.