• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

need help with gml programming

Hi everyone.

so i have been trying gamemaker for awhile.

I know the basics sorta.

i can make my character move, jump and shoot.

i can do some collisions

i know some functions.

i have played with arrays abit.

so my question for you all is.... what part of the logic of gml should i know?.

for example arrays, macros???

anything that could be really usefull?

and how would i use them??

i want to make a rpg role playing game or hack N slash.
to be clear i want to know parts of gml that could really add some good functinality to my game.

thanks again.

Bentley

Hard to answer, and there's much better people to answer. But I would try to clone a simple game, like Snake for example (or Pong or w/e). You'll learn a lot. Then come back to the community when you have can't solve something and post the relevant code.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Usually it's the data structures you're going to want to know how to use. Arrays, structs, lists, maps, the sorts. A lot of the problems in software design usually stem from trying to store and work with data in structures that don't fit it. So I'd recommend you at least learn the basics of the data structure gml offers.