Design Need help with Designing the Tutorial

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Turkish Coffee, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Turkish Coffee

Turkish Coffee Member

Hey,

I have a 2D-RTS game that you can check here and I'm trying to put some, very few texted tutorials in it.

The thing I'm confused about is where do I put the text.

The game starts with a black screen from the campsite and the came moves towards the player, so player sees where he/she needs to go to start the game/settling.
    upload_2018-11-14_14-32-43.png
    When the cam stops -close to stop in this ss below- the player is unable to see the campfire.
    upload_2018-11-14_14-33-17.png
    Camera stopped below
    upload_2018-11-14_14-34-41.png
    then HUD appears
    upload_2018-11-14_14-35-35.png
    in the ss above, I typed "light up the fire" just to try. I'll need to show basic movement keys that are A-D and directional keys then tell the player to go right and light up the fire by pressing a button. Any ideas to do so?

2. Kyon

Kyon Member

I believe showing basic movement on-screen is a bad thing.
    Don't expect people to be too dumb. If you have regular movement, people will figure it out without you telling them.

Turkish Coffee likes this.
  3. Turkish Coffee

Turkish Coffee Member

@Kyon Yea, you might be right, instead of saying it, I can just show A and D so they'll get to know those are the movement buttons right? Or just right away pass showing these 2 and tell player to go to the camp?

4. Evan Malinowski

Evan Malinowski Member

I'd just tell the player "Go to the right and Light the Fire"

Turkish Coffee likes this.
  5. Turkish Coffee

Turkish Coffee Member