GameMaker Need help trying to combine 2 resolutions of sprites

G

Gun_Goose

Hi, I am working on a 2d Zelda like game. Most of my sprites and all my tilesets are made up of 32 by 32 bits. I was planning on having one of my enemy objects be animated outside of the 32 bit retro art by using Claymation. I essentially wanted my sprites to be actual images that would look more detailed than the 32 bit sprites. However when I took the picture, I needed to scale it down since it was much bigger than the 32 bit sprites. This made the Claymation look very blurry and it lost a lot of detail. The only solution I can think of is scaling up the 32 bit sprites. Is this the only way to solve this problem or is their some special drawing command I can use to have my picture keep its detail? Also, would scaling up my 32 bit sprites make the game run slower?

Thanks!spooky.JPG bad_spooky.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
In situations like this, you should either edit all your scaled down sprites to look and feel like the rest (which will require time and a some pixel art skill), or you should simply change the game to use the higher resolution (which will mean re-drawing all your smaller sprites to suit the higher res). I would not recommend scaling up sprites that have been authored at a lower resolution as nothing looks worse in a game than mismatched sprite resolutions. As for performance issues with scaled sprites, there should be none...

G

Gun_Goose

Thank you! I will need to think about what I want to do.