• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Need Help: Game Dev Grind

R

RooksThe23rd

I love game making, I love the game I'm working on. Coding is fun, problem solving, figuring things out.

But I'm at a point where most coding is set. Need to code more, but only after implementing more characters and sprites. Where in lies my problem.

I took a break as I do sometimes. This one feels too long, but the thought of getting back to that grindstone of animating and making sprites is warding me off.

Any advice from the vets out there? I should have weaved coding and animating together, now I'm stuck with a large dish of boring.

I read somewhere to reach out to comminity. So please help a novice, fellow game devs.

Z

zendraw

Nose to the grind then eh?
well dont grind it, just do it slowly, no rush. Restrain for now from coding, there is aways somthing to code, optimise and so on. it will never end. so use the occasion for some self discipline, you wont die if you dont code for some time.

Set yourself a goal of doing one a day. Or even smaller. Set a goal of working on it for 1 minute per day.

I don't guarantee it will work. But at least you'd make some progress. You might find it kick starts you into gear.

R

RooksThe23rd

well dont grind it, just do it slowly, no rush. Restrain for now from coding, there is aways somthing to code, optimise and so on. it will never end. so use the occasion for some self discipline, you wont die if you dont code for some time.
Thanks, I'll try to pace it out instead of hammering everything out.

R

RooksThe23rd

Set yourself a goal of doing one a day. Or even smaller. Set a goal of working on it for 1 minute per day.

I don't guarantee it will work. But at least you'd make some progress. You might find it kick starts you into gear.
What a great idea. Just a little time a day, even just a few minutes. Atleast I'd get somewhere!

R

RooksThe23rd

i think the problem is simply stress, so yeah just chill and do things bit by bit.
Thanks, yeah I guess when I started thinking of it more as "have to" rather than "want to", it lost its zen that made me happy to game dev to begin with. Thanks guys for the great replies.

R

RooksThe23rd

There is a special section here on the forum for cooperation, find someone on-line. You'll also learn how to cooperate with others.
Hard pressed to find someone who will work for free. I mean, if someone wanted MY help, I'd give it freely.
But I'm not so sure others are willing, however I could also be wrong completely.
Either way, its an idea, and I thank you.

M

Misty

Hard pressed to find someone who will work for free. I mean, if someone wanted MY help, I'd give it freely.
But I'm not so sure others are willing, however I could also be wrong completely.
Either way, its an idea, and I thank you.
You work for free? In that case, I could use some 3d levels.