Need help: D&D monster name plural

T

tserek

I might need help with translating some D&D monster names to plural. Usually adding letter "s" behind the name is enough. There is also some exceptions like jelly > jellies, mouse > mice, sphinx > sphinges and fungus > fungi. Names listed below i'm not sure. For a native english speaking person these could be piece of cake? Thanks in any advice, suggest or correction.

achaierai
annis
aranea
babau
barbazu
bebilith
bralani
druegar
ghaele
glabrezu
gloom
hezrou
lamia

Last edited by a moderator:

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Most of those just need an "s" at the end (with the exceptiong of "annis" which needs an "es"). With some of them ("bebilith" especially), though, you may prefer to just keep the plural form as the same as the singular (such as with the words "sheep" and "fish").

T

tserek

Making a D&D like game where a plural of monster name is needed. You may have a quest to kill 4 fish. If task is "fish" we are talking about plural of fish, "fishes" is used for different kinds of fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BoredMormon

English has no hard and fast rules for plurals. We have a few around words that end in s. But most are just learnt by rote.

Much of this is because of the bastardised nature of English. There are several basic approaches
  • Add an s. This works for most words of English origin. If the word originally ends in a s then es is added instead.
  • Change the ending of the word from an s to an i. This is common on words with a Latin root.
  • Leave the word unchanged.
  • Change a key vowel in the word.
  • Change the word altogether.
Unfortunately these rules are applied totally inconsistently. The correct answer is whatever is used in the locality. That means that for the DnD monsters which are not commonly used anywhere that anything goes.

TheouAegis

Google is your friend.

achaiera -> achaierai (you're already using the plural)
annis -> this appears to be an adjective, so annis would also be plural
aranea -> aranea or araneae (both are correct)
babau -> babaus
barbazu -> Barbazu (this is a race, no plural)
bebilith -> Bebeliths
bralani -> Bralani (this is a race, no plural)
Duegar -> Duegar (this is a race, no plural)
ghaele -> ghaeles
glabrezu -> galbrezus (cf. Forgotten Realms wiki, but I feel this counts as a race)
gloom -> glooms
hezrou -> hezrous (cf. Forgotten Realms wiki)
Lamia -> Lamiae