GML [Solved] Need alternative to with (other) or failure

R

Red Phantom

Code:
if place_meeting(x,y,obj_3x3_Houses) and global.exterior_doors_open = false and !instance_exists(obj_Door_Opened)

{
  city_front_house = 0
  with (other)
    {
    if house_number = city_front_house
        {
        //with (obj_Controls) instance_destroy()
        instance_create(0,0,obj_Door_Opened)
        global.inconversation = true
        green_door_opened = 0
        image_index = green_door_opened
        }
    }
  }
Here I try to use with (other) to refer to the specific instance ID of obj_3x3_Houses that is within the function place_meeting.
I understand that using 'other' in this way does not work. So how can I refer to the specific instance of obj_3x3_Houses which is the third argument of the called function place_meeting?

Context (Shouldn't be necessary to solving the problem but may help)
There are multiple instances of obj_3x3_Houses in the room.
Originally I had separate objects for each house. But now I am condensing my resources to minimize the data, i.e. megabytes of my downloadable game to make it load and run faster and more smoothly.
So I am trying to merge my 3x3 (96x96pixel) houses into one object.
In the room I give each individual house object index a unique house number under local variable house_number, inside the creation code(in the room) of the object (i.e. not under the regular creation event)
Capture21.PNG

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
See: What's the difference: Objects and Instances
Collision-checking functions: instance_place() and instance_position() are the instance-ID-oriented analogues of place_meeting() and position_meeting(). Functions that start with collision_ all return instance IDs. Save that instance ID into a variable (e.g. var inst_enemy = instance_place(x, y, obj_enemy);), then use that as the subject to work with (e.g. inst_enemy.hp -= 10;). Note that these functions return noone upon not finding a collision. Always account for this special case whenever you handle collisions this way.
Code:
var inst_3x3_Houses = instance_place(x, y, obj_3x3_Houses);
if (inst_3x3_Houses != noone and !global.exterior_doors_open and !instance_exists(obj_Door_Opened))
{
  city_front_house = 0
  with (inst_3x3_Houses)

R

Red Phantom

I just tried this and it worked.
Thank you!
Can you explain this part of the code for me? What is it essentially saying?
Code:
if inst_3x3_Houses != noone

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried this and it worked.
Thank you!
Can you explain this part of the code for me? What is it essentially saying?
Code:
if inst_3x3_Houses != noone
@Danei already answered your question, but I wanted to point out that the answer was in the manual all along. Under both "instance_place" and "Keywords" -> "noone". Next time you don't know what a piece of code given to help you out means, try searching it in the manual first. You might be surprised to find you don't have to ask any more questions!