• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion [NEED ADVICE] problems with finding a girl

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
As a 17-years-old single male I think it's very hard to find a girl who's actually interested in free software. I've had girls jokingly ask to "Netflix and chill" but when I tell her that I don't use Netflix since Netflix requires proprietary software to stream content, they stop talking to me And worse, if they do stay they think I'm weird since I blocked Google IP's in my host file and we can't even watch YouTube. I can't ever seem to get girls to come over to my place and I can't text them either. Once I get their numbers since I've added customs roms to my phone and refuse to use SMS since it's a security concern I require all of my friends to download a free and open source messaging app and I share with them my public GPG key so that we can verify that our conversations are secure. None of my friends are willing to do this. And I can't use sites like Tinder since it's not only proprietary software but a major privacy vulnerability.

How come it is so hard to find a girl concerned about software freedom? I feel like I am going to remain single forever.

Please give me advice. Or talk about your relationship problems if you want to.

Last edited:
M

Misu

Ok first off... why on earth are you scared of the agency tracking you? They are not gonna do anything to you. They are not gonna go bursting to your door and tazer you. Even if you murder someone, they are not gonna even try hunting you down. They just sit on a goddamn chair for more than 8 hours, staring at every persons stuff, feeling miserable and depress for watching everything you do, powerless without anything they can do towards it. Plus there are more than a billion of people on this planet. Chances of you being selected to he tracked goes by that billion. Its rare.

YOU gotta quit on that habit on privacy and all that mumbo jumbo if you want a girl to like you. Because nobody likes that habit. Its stereotypical, social-limitive, and not cool.

You really do not want to remain single, do the favour and stop being paranoic about the agency and stuff.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Ok first off... why on earth are you scared of the agency tracking you? They are not gonna do anything to you. They are not gonna go bursting to your door and tazer you. Even if you murder someone, they are not gonna even try hunting you down. They just sit on a goddamn chair for more than 8 hours, staring at every persons stuff, feeling miserable and depress for watching everything you do, powerless without anything they can do towards it. Plus there are more than a billion of people on this planet. Chances of you being selected to he tracked goes by that billion. Its rare.

YOU gotta quit on that habit on privacy and all that mumbo jumbo if you want a girl to like you. Because nobody likes that habit. Its stereotypical, social-limitive, and not cool.

You really do not want to remain single, do the favour and stop being paranoic about the agency and stuff.
I wanted to say the same thing but my vocabulary is bad, thanks Mimu

M

Misu

Im sorry but i had to let it out. It takes guts to snap someone out very straight forward.

Ihato

I have to say this is all cause you started using Arch, nerd.
If you wanted to impress anybody you first must install Gentoo.

Also your claim that it's hard to find a partner interested in free software is simply not true because my waifu loves free software.
To wit RMS is my waifu.

I go to downtown every Sunday to go to church and there aren't much black women on the north side. I see mostly white women up north I could date in church, but I prefer it if I dated black women because if I date a white woman. Our kids wouldn't look dark-skinned. Sometimes, I see black guys up north and rarely any black women. I was thinking that if more black women went downtown. Then, there will be more black man/black woman couples going up north. What should I do?

T

Tyler Logsdon

Been talking to this girl for like 3 weeks. How would I tell her that I make games for fun without sounding like an introverted nerd? Also this girl and I have a lot in common but i don't usually bring up game making in real life so how could I go about this?

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
If she is the type to completely prejudge you as an introverted nerd by only the fact that you make games, she's not the type for you, and I don't think she would to be honest. I have zero knowledge about that girl, but I imagine that most girls your age would be like "oh that's special/cool" and "oh you're smart!". Or at least in Belgium. See, a girl will judge your personality like that based on what she sees every day, say if you act laid-back, open, and extraverted with her, and then tell her you make games, then why on earth would she judge your personality based on that, instead of what she sees? That's how amazing girls are! But say you do act everyday like a nerd, introverted, weird on the creepy side, and then tell you make games, it will just confirm what she already believes. Now these are the two extremes, and I know you're somewhere inbetween, but you get what I'm trying to say.

Another excuse why you should tell her is because in a romantic relationship honesty is one of the most important things, so if even before the relationship you already start hiding things or are too scared to say some things, it'll be doomed. She'll appreciate that you are honest, and expressing to her your deep passion (game making), that is also a sign that you trust her.

And also, important to note, the way and time how you say it, if you make it like a big big reveal, it will be kind of underwhelming, because it's just a hobby, but if you say it in an appropriate time on an appropriate way (not too huge), like when you're talking about hobbies, then it's perfectly fine. And also after she knows it, don't talk too much about it, you can sometimes even show a game you've made or something, but not too many times, or not heavly unfinished WIP's, cus girls don't have the insight on what it can become.

My best guess based on most girls your age is that she'll just find it cute.
And also, you're so clueless about all of this, haha, that's cute to me!

And also, isn't 3 weeks a bit soon to think about dating already? haha!

But good luck mate.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation, albeit a while ago now - was very nervous about it. Turns out every girl I've told has found it cute/fun/cool and most mistakingly they think it must mean I'm really smart! Lol.

My advice, casually drop it into conversation and don't worry about it! And if she is a rare girl that scorns you for it, stop wasting time on her and move on!

Ninety

Stop treating it like your dirty secret, and no one else will. Acting all secretive and embarrassed will only direct people towards a similar reaction. Confidence can land you a friend when you have nothing in common - even when you don't value the same things or share interests.

T

Tyler Logsdon

Great advice guys!!! Thanks to all of you. Ill keep you updated lol

B

Blazing

If you were a regular at a public place/event on a weekly or daily basis, you wouldn't have to text her if she's also a regular. That's what people did before the telegram was invented.

So take up dancing, buy a purebred dog, or some other hobby that attracts both genders and has a club that meets regularly.