• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Need a little help with some maths, nothing major [SOLVED]

P

PerilousProductions

Thanks for reading, the reason I need help today is because I am having issues working out the maths that would make a sprite fit in an inventory box, basically what I'm doing is making sure whatever items are drawn in the inventory is drawn at a scale required to fit in the box (128x128)

this is what I've got so far:

Code:
                            var spr=inv_db[ii,1];
                            var spr_ratio=2;
                            var spr_xOff=0;
                            var spr_yOff=0;

if sprite_get_width(spr)>sprite_get_height(spr){
                                spr_ratio=1/(sprite_get_width(spr)/64);
                                spr_yOff=32-spr_ratio*16;
                            }else{
                                spr_ratio=1/(sprite_get_height(spr)/64);
                                spr_xOff=32-spr_ratio*16;
                            }

draw_sprite_part_ext(spr,0,0,0,
                                    sprite_get_width(spr),
                                    sprite_get_height(spr),
                                    iwo+inv_button_origin_xOffset+spr_xOff+((itemxx)*inv_button_spaceH-32),
                                    iho+inv_button_origin_yOffset+spr_yOff+(itemOffset*inv_button_spaceV-32),
                                    spr_ratio,spr_ratio,-1,1);
the reason I use draw_part_ext is because all the items have different offsets, as the offsets for the weapons are placed where a character holds them.

Has anybody got a better approach? I would just like to be able to require the ratio required based on the item being drawn compared to the box it has to fit in.