• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam Native YYC build on MacOS with "Enable Steam" on causes game to crash on launch

pdrummond

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of preparing my game (Kells) for release on Steam and I really want to release for MacOS as well as Windows but after weeks troubleshooting, I think I'm probably going to have to give up on having a MacOS version at launch. I've read so many articles on here about it and none of them have worked so I didn't know if it's worth posting as my situation is the same as many of the other articles - but none of the recommended solutions have worked for me.

My development machine is a Mac. When I build the game via the remote worker for Windows with "Steam Enabled" it works fine. However, when I try to build the MacOS version natively, the game launches then terminates immediately (see error info below).

For the purpose of this post, I want to try to reduce the surface area of the problem by focusing on just finding out if it's possible to run the game locally with steam enabled on a Mac. Should it be possible or do I have to accept that I can't run it locally and that I have to get it notarised every time I want to test if it works?

- My machine is an iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) running Catalina (10.15.7).
- I am using version 1.42 of the Steam SDK as recommended.
- In the Platform Settings my SDK path is set correctly to be /Users/pdrummond/Steamworks/sdk142
- In the Game Options the Steam ID is set correctly.
- In the Game Options - macOS Platform Settings I have "Enable Steam" checked.
- The Build target is set to macOS YYC output.
- I have the latest version of the steam client running (Built May 18 2021, at 19:04:13, Steam API v020, Steam package versions: 1621394999)

When I click Run to build and run the game, I get the following error in the output window:

Code:
/bin/bash DONE (0)
/bin/bash -c "cd ~ && open -n -a /Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/kells.app --args -debugoutput \"/Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/debug.log\" -output \"/Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/debug.log\" -runTest -debug_steamapi -nosteamrestart"

/bin/bash DONE (0)
Igor complete.
/bin/bash -c "cd ~ && tail -F "/Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/debug.log""
Starting...
MacAppSteamInit 1595300
steamfile:/Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/steam_appid.txt
Steam being initialised with appId 1595300
Steam_Init
Error: Failed to load libsteam_api.dylib from  /Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib
dlerror:dlopen(/Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    /Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib'

/Users/pdrummond/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib: stat() failed with errno=25
GameName not set at this point
Failed LoadSteamLib() call: Error loading libsteam_api.dylib
SteamInit failed: Error loading libsteam_api.dylib
My next task is to start to unpack this error message and learn about why the code signature is invalid and why it is looking in the wrong place. But before I put loads of time into this, I'm just curious: is this error expected on a Mac?

Thanks in advance for any help on this - I've been struggling with it for weeks now and been down so many paths around code signing and notarisation but nothing I try has worked so far, so this is why I'm trying to break the problem down and just focusing on getting advice around running it locally for now.

Just for the record: It doesn't work when I go through the process of notarising it either - I'm just not sure if that's the same issue or a different issue specific to notarisation.

Thanks,
Paul.

Eugene7A

I am having the exact same issue. Made the game from Mac, almost no problems with compiling and uploading/integrating with Steam for Windows, but for Mac I can't even narrow it down to anything. I compiled it, signed with Xcode, it says "Success" (took me a while to even get to this point), but then when I click on the final app and trying to run it, it just starts, and immediately closes after. I don't even get an error to understand why the game is not working. If I right click on the app and then click "show content", then go to "Contents" > "MacOS" > [game name], it gives me a bunch of errors like "Not shutting down Steam as it is not initialised" (why? what?), "playerachievementcache.dat : No such file or directory", etc. Before that I was getting something like "can't run game.ios as there is no such file". I am not quire sure why there should be .ios file as I didn't compile it for iPhones or Apple Store.

I did the same things as in the pdrummond's list and many other.

I used these articles and forum posts as references:
- Mac OS settings: https://manual.yoyogames.com/Settings/Game_Options/macOS.htm as I understand and based on that Signing Identifier field should be blank as I was getting an error before because this field is filled in the manual, so I thought that it should be filled. The yellow description of what a Signing Identifier is is not very clear. I still don't get it. The direction on how to find it leads to nowhere. Should it be a name, a number, a blank? I don't understand.
- Compiling: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001624727-macOS-Compiling-Your-App this (via YYC, the other one (VM) didn't work at all for me) is generally goes smooth, until it communicates with Xcode (the latest version, everything is the latest version), then we go to...
- Notarizing: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002425218-macOS-Notarizing-Your-Apps which is a disaster. I don't even know who's fault is that, Steam, Apple, mine or maybe YoYo (I think everyones), but this is something horrible. I had the red warning there that "libsteam_api.dylib can't be found" and at some point this post seemed like it's exactly my situation. I renamed the "osx" folder as suggested and for the 1st time I was able to compile for Mac without errors (GMS said "success"), which is very odd because renaming Steam SDK folders don't seem like the thing you should do in order to compile, but fine. I still don't understand what does "The issue was selecting a provisioning file on XCode. I set it as None." mean.
- Now I compiled successfully, signed it with Xcode successfully (paid $100 for the dev acc and everything), but the game still doesn't run. It opens and then closes without any explanation. At this point it seems that Steam is the problem and when it tries to communicate with it the game crushes. Now I assume that maybe I should upload this build to Steam and then run it from Steam (update: tried it, it didn't work), but when I test my game from my Mac (Mac Mini) it runs well and the connection to Steam should not prevent it from running (in my mind)... So this is where I am at right now.
- At some point I was reading that you should not have spaces in the name here or somewhere else or that everything should be (or not?) case sensitive as it's a Mac OS. Some people were saying that you should name you game without using spaces, like instead of "Green Town" you should name it "GreenTown" because Mac OS has problems with spaces. But I don't understand what exactly should be named without spaces. The display name of the game in Mac OS settings? It doesn't seem so. The path to... what? And honestly I don't want to name my game without spaces as it's not pleasant looking
- In he same topic people were saying that after you complied everything you should move the extracted file out of the original folder in order for it to work, which sounds like something extremely strange. I tried to do it anyway and it didn't work
- Here is a guy saying things that I have never heard from any legitimate source:
  • Under Build Settings, set Enable Hardened Runtime to "yes"
  • Under Signing & Capabilities, check the box for Disable Library Validation
  • Under Signing & Capabilities, check the box for Allow DYLD Environment Variables (this is the part I was missing)
  • Under Build Phases, Copy Files, make sure Code Sign On Copy is unchecked for libsteam_api.dylib
I haven't tried that and honestly I don't want to try that as I might completely break everything at this point and won't be able to come back to somewhat healthy build
- Another guy said in 2017 (sorry I can't provide a link here) that he had to merge Apple Developer Account with his personal apple account in order to make everything to work on Mac. Again, no official sources confirmed anything like that

Regarding the required SDK, here in the official guide is says: "Steamworks SDK 1.42 is required if you're doing Steam builds (please use ONLY this version)". However, when I check the change log for Steam SDKs, I see that 1.47 version (Jan 6, 2020) added "steamcmd is now 64-bit on macOS", and as I understand now everything for Mac has to be 64-bit, so I do everything with the latest SDK (1.51) despite the YoYo guide. I have tried to compile with 1.42 before as well and had issues anyway. Maybe I'll go and try to use the old 1.42 SDK again...

At this point I feel like giving up on Mac OS as it has like 3% share of players on Steam, but I did pay $100 for the Dev Licence and I did purchased GMS Desktop licence that supposed to allow export for Mac, and I do want to test my game on the same machine I made it (Mac Mini) with Steam, so I am not giving up yet, but honestly it's so hard to pin point to the exact problem that I didn't even want to ask on the forum as it's, as I feel, not specifically YoYo issue, but a combination of issues of Apple, GMS, and Steam. Also, this is all a quite recent issue as I understand, as Apple changing its policies and requirements and making everyone else to comply with it.

Anyway, I am not sure that what I wrote is helpful for the topic starter or anyone else, and am not even sure that things that I did (my fixes) are the right ones, but I thought to share it here anyway. Maybe there is the last magical tiny thing I forgot to do and a wizard will come and just reveal it...

Last edited:

pdrummond

Hi Eugene7A, thanks for your comment. I don't know about anyone else but it's really useful for me to hear that you have been through similar issues as it confirms it's not just something I'm missing and it helps to know I'm not alone in this and that others in the community are looking for solutions as well, so thanks for taking the time to respond as you have.

I agree the issue seems to be a lack of interest from YoYo Games on this given MacOS has such a low share of players on Steam, but my reason for caring is the same as yours. I really want to be able to play my own game through steam on my own machine! Plus, I have friends who are MacOS-only and I want to be able to share it with them too (plus, I've paid ÂŁ70 for the Apple dev licence too).

Regarding your comments on the SDK version - I too have been round in circles on whether to stick with the recommended 1.42 even though it's not 64-bit. I've tried SDK 1.51 and can confirm it doesn't change things as libsteam_api seems to be a "universal library" that supports 32-bit and 64-bit, even in SDK 1.51. For a while, I was convinced this was the problem as the GMS2 docs clearly state the extension must be 64-bit *only*. I even went so far as to strip the 32-bit symbols from the extension using a tool called "lipo" but even though XCode confirmed the lib was now 64-bit only, it still made no difference.

If I run "codesign --verify --verbose <drag-my-app-here>" in the terminal the output is:

Code:
kells.app: valid on disk
kells.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement
If I open up the app folder and check the actual libsteam_api, it's the same:

Code:
libsteam_api.dylib: valid on disk
libsteam_api.dylib: satisfies its Designated Requirement
So I am now convinced the app is correctly codesigned even though the only error I get when I run the game is that libsteam_api has an invalid code signature.

I can only assume at this stage the crash is not related to codesigning at all and the signing error is a red herring. 🤷

Thanks for your detailed response though. I'm going to go through it in more detail and see if there is anything in there I have missed up until now.

Thanks,
Paul.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I would suggest that you contact YYG and file a bug report with them. Link to this topic and send them a copy of the game you are trying to publish. They are the ones that will know most about this and be able to help you best, I think. Please post any response you get here to help other users in the same situation! :)

I can't comment on building in GMS 2.3.2 + Catalina, but for building in GMS 2.2.5 + Mojave I get a working 64-bit .app like this:

1. Use Steam SDK 1.42 as recommended
2. Build for macOS YYC
3. Let the whole project load in Xcode (don't use the built archive, we're going to make one later)
4. Let Xcode update the project to recommended settings
5. Perform the following steps (as described here https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/solved-steam-not-able-to-initialize-on-macos.69524/):
  • Under Signing & Capabilities, check the box for Allow DYLD Environment Variables
  • Under Build Phases, Copy Files, make sure Code Sign On Copy is unchecked for libsteam_api.dylib
6. Build the archive and send to Apple to notarize as described here https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002425218-macOS-Notarizing-Your-Apps
7. Download the notarized version (available within a few minutes)
8. Put the whole .app folder in your Steam content folder and upload
9. Voila, build works

Hopefully these steps will also work for you

Last edited:

pdrummond

Thanks Nocturne, I haven't had much luck with filing bug reports with YYG in the past so I figured I might get further with the community on this one. But I will file one now and report back here if they respond with a solution.

Thanks Pineapple Lake - I've been through your steps in one form or another many times and it hasn't worked for me, but maybe I missed something? I've just been through exactly the steps you listed and can confirm that unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference. It must be less restrictive on Mojave. After I followed your instructions and uploaded the notarised app to steam and restarted steam client to update to the latest version, I started the game within Steam and it just crashed as usual after the GMS2 splash screen. (I also doubled checked and Steam Client is definitely using the latest build ID, which is the one I just uploaded after following your instructions.)

When I run it from the terminal I get the following output:

Code:
 pdrummond@localhost î‚° ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells î‚° kells.app/Contents/MacOS/kells
2021-05-31 19:51:44.760 kells[65113:9161031] Nil context detected
2021-05-31 19:51:44.761 kells[65113:9161031] Command Line = "/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/kells"
MacAppSteamInit 1595300
steamfile:/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/steam_appid.txt
Steam_Init
Error: Failed to load libsteam_api.dylib from  /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib
dlerror:dlopen(/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib'

2021-05-31 19:51:44.907 kells[65113:9161031] !!!!########  rendersize=(966.000000,620.000000) - displayWidthHeight(966,620)
2021-05-31 19:51:45.053 kells[65113:9161031] Data path = </Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells>
2021-05-31 19:51:45.055 kells[65113:9161031] Reachable = have internet
2021-05-31 19:51:45.055 kells[65113:9161031] requested file - /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/Resources/game.ios

*     YoYo Games Mac Runner V0.1      *
CommandLine: -game "/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/Resources/game.ios"
MemoryManager allocated: 52517
Processing command line -game "/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/Resources/game.ios"
_ReadFile : /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/hiscore.dat : No such file or directory
filename is /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/hiscore.dat
Unable to find libYoYoGamepad.dylib at path /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib. Error dlopen(/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib'

Attempting to set gamepadcount to 4
GamepadInitMSteam already initialised
_ReadFile : /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/playerachievementcache.dat : No such file or directory
filename is /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/playerachievementcache.dat
Steam restarting via client
2021-05-31 19:51:45.177 kells[65113:9161031] window will enter setting glView frame to width 2560 height 1440
2021-05-31 19:51:45.184 kells[65113:9161031] window width = 2560.000000, window height = 1440.000000
2021-05-31 19:51:45.874 kells[65113:9161031] windowDidEnterFullScreen
_ReadFile : /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/hiscore.dat : No such file or directory
filename is /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/hiscore.dat
Unable to find libYoYoGamepad.dylib at path /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib. Error dlopen(/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libYoYoGamepad.dylib'

_ReadFile : /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/playerachievementcache.dat : No such file or directory
filename is /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells/playerachievementcache.dat
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
GamepadQuitM
Not shutting down steam as it is not initialised
Script_Free called
Thanks,
Paul.

Thanks Nocturne, I haven't had much luck with filing bug reports with YYG in the past so I figured I might get further with the community on this one. But I will file one now and report back here if they respond with a solution.

Thanks Pineapple Lake - I've been through your steps in one form or another many times and it hasn't worked for me, but maybe I missed something? I've just been through exactly the steps you listed and can confirm that unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference. It must be less restrictive on Mojave. After I followed your instructions and uploaded the notarised app to steam and restarted steam client to update to the latest version, I started the game within Steam and it just crashed as usual after the GMS2 splash screen. (I also doubled checked and Steam Client is definitely using the latest build ID, which is the one I just uploaded after following your instructions.)

When I run it from the terminal I get the following output:

Code:
pdrummond@localhost î‚° ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells î‚° kells.app/Contents/MacOS/kells
2021-05-31 19:51:44.760 kells[65113:9161031] Nil context detected
2021-05-31 19:51:44.761 kells[65113:9161031] Command Line = "/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/kells"
MacAppSteamInit 1595300
steamfile:/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/steam_appid.txt
Steam_Init
Error: Failed to load libsteam_api.dylib from  /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib
dlerror:dlopen(/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/MacOS/libsteam_api.dylib'

2021-05-31 19:51:44.907 kells[65113:9161031] !!!!########  rendersize=(966.000000,620.000000) - displayWidthHeight(966,620)
2021-05-31 19:51:45.053 kells[65113:9161031] Data path = </Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/com.iode.kells>
2021-05-31 19:51:45.055 kells[65113:9161031] Reachable = have internet
2021-05-31 19:51:45.055 kells[65113:9161031] requested file - /Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/Resources/game.ios

*     YoYo Games Mac Runner V0.1      *
CommandLine: -game "/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/Resources/game.ios"
MemoryManager allocated: 52517
Processing command line -game "/Users/pdrummond/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kells/kells.app/Contents/Resources/game.ios"

2021-05-31 19:51:45.177 kells[65113:9161031] window will enter setting glView frame to width 2560 height 1440
2021-05-31 19:51:45.184 kells[65113:9161031] window width = 2560.000000, window height = 1440.000000
2021-05-31 19:51:45.874 kells[65113:9161031] windowDidEnterFullScreen

Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
GamepadQuitM
Not shutting down steam as it is not initialised
Script_Free called
Thanks,
Paul.

Sorry it's not working...
It seems like the code signing for libsteam_api.dylib is still invalid

Are you SURE you performed the steps as I described in that EXACT particular order?
Especially these:
  • Under Signing & Capabilities, check the box for Allow DYLD Environment Variables
If you let Xcode update to the recommended settings after this, it revokes some of the changes you made, so be sure to do this beforehand.

If it's still not working, be sure to file a bug report with YYG

pdrummond

Hi Pineapple Lake. Thanks for your response.

I submitted a bug report to YYC 5 days ago (and referred them to this post for more details) but no response yet. I'll post here if they ever get round to responding.

Yes, I've definitely gone through and followed those steps exactly and in the correct order. I've just been though the whole process again (just in case) but no luck. I've spent a good 10+ hours on trying to understand MacOS code-signing over the last week and jumping through many hoops to resolve this but I still haven't been able to understand what's causing this issue. As far as I can tell, libsteam_api is signed correctly.

Everything I read tells me libsteam_api.dylib needs to be signed with my own identity on Catalina so I often don't do the last step you suggest (unchecking Code Sign on Copy). But I have definitely tried without signing it following your instructions to the letter as well just in case I was mistaken, but no luck there either. I think I've tried every single combination of all the different variations by now and nothing works.

The problem is I don't get any useful error information so it's like finding a needle in a haystack at the moment. No matter what I do the error is always "invalid code signature" for libsteam_api.dylib.

At this stage, I am going to have to accept defeat and give up I think :-( My game released on Windows which is the main thing, even though I would love to release it on MacOS eventually if I can. For now, I will probably just put the MacOS version on Itch.io and just accept that MacOS + Steam isn't an option for GMS2 games.