Native GMS games on Raspberry Pi anyone?

L

Lonewolff

Hey Guys,

Got the full native 'Windows 10 Home' running on my Raspberry Pi 3 today. :cool:

More for the 1337 factor than anything else. It's slooooow!!! :D

But the native Win32 / ARM layer compatibility layer allowed this....

The most basic 'draw_text' project, running at a brutal 4 FPS. But no magic required. 'Just worked' out of the box.

Going to go back and cut the backround services to the bare minimum to see if I can make it more responsive.

Might have to go and get myself a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB RAM. This could turn out a fun project. :)

Oh, and had the RPi running at Max overclock. It cooked and shut itself down after about five minutes of running this GOTY I created in the pic above.

Pi restarted ok, but I am now running at the normal CPU clock rate.

[edit]
Task manager prior to pruning. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Interesting experiment. Have you managed to get Android on it instead? That might help with the resource usage.

For your information, I have a 10-year-old laptop with specs comparable to the Raspberry Pi 4B (also 4GB RAM), and Windows 10 just pisses away all its resources on telemetry and updates. When I do use it, I seldom end the day without hitting 100% CPU or 90%+ RAM. So save yourself the expense.

L

Lonewolff

Interesting experiment. Have you managed to get Android on it instead? That might help with the resource usage.

For your information, I have a 10-year-old laptop with specs comparable to the Raspberry Pi 4B (also 4GB RAM), and Windows 10 just pisses away all its resources on telemetry and updates. When I do use it, I seldom end the day without hitting 100% CPU or 90%+ RAM. So save yourself the expense.
No, I haven't tried Android yet. As you said, it is very much all experimental and in the 'cause I can' category. :D

Planning on getting a RPi 4 down the road anyway. So, I will certainly revisit this experiment at a much later date anyway.

Before I do the pruning, I just had to try this;

2 FPS. But bear in mind, I clocked back to 600 Mhz earlier.

But it seems more than happy at least, running a Win32 GMS2 DirectX 11 game out of the box.

[edit]
Just realised I was running this at 8x FSAA which is a little harsh for the poor thing.

Last edited:

Roa

there is no version of android that works with pi officially, and all the unofficial offerings run piss poor. People have tried x86 vm layers on raspian, full desktop installs of windows 10, and android. All of them impossible to play.

The only solid way to get gamemaker games with any performance at all on pi is to export to html5 and get some type of arm based runner app. The boost in performance for those chromium runners are no joke against the standard browser. I've seen over double performance gains sometimes.

That and the GPU is absolutely piss poor on the pi. It's actually faster to let the CPU run everything like all the emulators do. The only reason they finally even bothered getting GPU drivers for it, is for those few people that want to push every little tick out of the CPU they can. I've seen people trying their luck with USB GPUs and getting better results.(yes, a USB 2.0 spec serial buss does better sometimes) GPU performance is an absolute after thought and easily the weakest part of the whole SOC. I got the 2 shaders, 3 matrix transforms, 4 draw calls, and about 3k polygons before it 💩💩💩💩 out.

Its fast enough to get 1080p 60hz of pixels off your desktop to a monitor and thats about it. There is next to no other acceleration, and simply pushing the resolution out takes most of its time, let alone actually trying to render new things.

Last edited:
L

Lonewolff

This whole thing was more for the 'can I get it running' factor. Which I did. It was never going to be the new gaming console of the decade.

I've kicked around building an arcade cabinet for my HTML5 games (and keep it at a bar or laundromat.)

I was wondering how the Pi would do with them... Thanks for sharing your insights!

K

Kneesnap

Sorry for the necropost, but I have information relevant to the conversation.

May I recommend using the GMS1 runner that was created for Raspberry Pi?
I managed to port Undertale and Deltarune to run on my handheld Circuit Sword CM3, and undertale also seemed to run fine on a Pi Zero (though with downgraded texture resolution).
Deltarune Port: https://github.com/Kneesnap/deltarune-circuit-sword
It does kind of suck that you are limited to GMS1, but it does work. (RPi 4 may have issues, unsure if you can use the required video mode.)

pixeltao

Sorry for the necropost... again, but I've been curious about the status of a pi export module for GMS2. Any new info about that?

I've read the old 2016 announcements about the GMS1 runner (super crate box, maldita castilla), but couldn't find any new info. Also these pi games seem to have been removed from the yoyogames website.

I'd love to experiment with game maker and a pi zero, for example. But it doesn't really seem possible at the moment.

Reactions: Roa