• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D NASA style sim

D

David11

Hi Members,
To be honest, I didnt actually know how to title the topic, but it is in regards to a NASA type simulator. Before my hard drive crashed a couple of years ago, I was toying with a NASA type simulator, and was wondering the best way to achieve an approach.

Picture this. Your standing at a launch site, and you have, what we will call for now, "space shuttle". This thing is huge. You approach the door, and enter. Now your inside, and you have to walk to the 'driver seat' You take off and your in space.

What comes to mind is, this room would be huge. Doing one room is foolish. Keep in mind, this is 3D, and Im using models. There are a couple of things that happen here. The outside of the space shuttle, is highly detailed. For sake argument, let say I have a model, that is about 5,000 poly. Because the player will also be inside, this interior is also detailed. You have seats, controls and so on. For argument sake, this is also going to be 5,000 polys. Also, lets not forget, outside the shuttle is a highly detailed space station. More than likely, it will be more than 5,000 polys, so lets say its 10,000 polys.

With just the 3 models, we are looking at 20,000 polys total, give or take. So now we have to do a little smoke-show, and tricks in order to now have this simulator not overwhelm players computers. Also, dont forget the AI characters outside, and fuel truck and so forth, as well as the interior of space shuttle has windows to look out. I could find a space shuttle model with interior with an exterior, but have one model of 10,000 polys would seem foolish. Better to separate.

Im not sure, but Im believing this would be the proper procedure.

1) Load all models at space station, except for shuttle interior.
2) Once at door of space shuttle and you enter, instance_destroy the exterior, and instance_create the interior. Some space shuttle AI is removed and other objects not required at this point.
3) Once take off and certain distance away from space station, remove AI etc, and once at atmosphere change, you do a room change, and your out of space.

I havnt done this, but the above sounds right to me. The old way I was doing this was this

1) Load all models at space station, but make interior of shuttle visible=false.
2) Enter shuttle and interior visible=true, exterior visible=false.

Or this way which was worse

1) Load all models at space station, except interior
2) Enter door, and change room destroying all outside.

For the most part, Im just curious as too how some of you would achieve the best way to create a NASA style sim, with 3D models, and the procedure of changing outside to inside, without lag on some computers. (Please this isnt about high poly models, those would just made up numbers :D )