Demo Myth Bearer (Demo)

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by John Bailey, Oct 3, 2019.

1. John Bailey

John Bailey Member

[​IMG]
    Genre: Adventure/RPG
    Inspiration: Gothic, King's Field, Legend of Zelda.

Overview:
    Myth Bearer is a top-down RPG adventure that emphasizes character growth through exploration in an open-ended, interconnected world. Actions taken during your journey are permanent - enemies don’t respawn, consumed items are forever gone, and story events have permanent impacts on the world. Are you ready to brave a mysterious world full of danger and fortune?

Currently, this game is still in development, but there is a free demo available.

Story:
    Deep below the Nameless Isle, an ancient force is said to guide the fate of all who step foot on its shores. You take on the role of a lost wayfarer, as you embark on a quest to unravel the mysteries of the Nameless Isle's dark past.

Features:
    • Full mouse control, with the option to use WASD/arrow keys for movement.​
    • Open-ended, interconnected level design.​
    • Inventory management, with the ability to drop and retrieve items.​
    • The possibility to sequence break and skip story chapters.​
    • A dynamic game world that changes as the story progresses.​
    Download From:
    Itch.io: https://jc-bailey.itch.io/myth-bearer
    Game Jolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/mythbearer/442391
    Indie DB: https://www.indiedb.com/games/myth-bearer

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Version History:​
    Demo V1.2:
    • Changed death penalty to respawn the player with half hp, instead of subtracting xp.​
    • Added a death counter message near Lake Ignis.​
    • Rewrote some of the NPC and message dialogues.​
    • Minor bug fixes.​
    Demo V1.1:​
    • Changed death penalty to XP loss on death instead of gold.​
    • Minor bug fixes.​
    Demo V1.0:​
    • Demo Released.​

Credits:​
    • Game created by JC Bailey.​
    • Background music composed by Snabisch from opengameart.org.​

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

I love how small the graphics are, they're like as small as possible. Looks like it'll be fun to play aswell, I'll have a go of the demo soon

John Bailey likes this.
  3. markchapman

markchapman Member

Just by looking at the screenshots I like your tile set, I can't seem to get the tile set art down. Looks great.

John Bailey likes this.
  4. Roa

Roa Member

So uhh... it's die a lot till you out DPS the game?

Kinda like it, mostly hate it.
    All you can do is throw yourself at enemies and walk from spawn until you break through. There is zero player skill involved. Never pickup coins so you don't lose them like the game encourages you to do. Lots of time wasted walking from spawns, and armor and weapons make almost zero difference too in the grand scheme of things. That 1-2 bonus never adds up in the long run vs just simply leveling up your strength. It doesn't scale, its just a direct static addition which doesn't change the the amount of hits to kill or live in a fight.

Very cool concept my guy, but unfortunately, terribly executed. It's basically just a monotonous clicker in disguise. It sounds kinda harsh, I see the work you put into it, but it can be so much more. It's good to see another king's field fan though.

Also, found a glitch
    blue tile is walkable, red is blocked.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. John Bailey

John Bailey Member

@Roa I was made aware of the design mistake with the death penalty pretty quickly, and will be changing it in an update that's going up today. The new penalty will subtract XP instead of gold, which will hopefully encourage players to be more strategic in their approach. Also, you aren't actually meant to die at all, as it's entirely possible to kill every enemy in the demo without dying. Really, the game should probably have permadeath, but since the full game will be 2-4 hours long, I thought I'd give less skilled players a bit of leeway. I'm hoping the death penalty change will convey this better. Thanks for playing anyway.

And thanks for pointing out the bug, I've already fixed it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Demo V1.1.0 is up, changes include:
    • Changed death penalty to XP loss on death instead of gold.
    • Minor bug fixes.
    Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Joe Ellis and Roa like this.
  6. Roa

Roa Member

I completed the demo, it still had a grip on me. Couldn't find the enemies to get to level 14 though. Got half way through level 13

7. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

If you completed it in 1 day, it can't be that hard, I still haven't had a go, but will in the next few days

8. John Bailey

John Bailey Member

DEVLOG #1:

After a week-long break, I'm getting back to working on Myth Bearer. I'm expecting to have the full game finished and ready to download by the end of November-early December. Expect to see bi-weekly devlog updates until then.

Anyway, thanks to all who played the demo. Thankfully, only 2 bugs have been found and fixed so far, and they were both very minor. So the game seems to be in a very stable state right now, and I already have a huge list of design things that I want to change for the full game thanks to all the feedback.

If you'd like to learn more about the development of Myth Bearer, I did a test stream of the demo where I happen to talk a bit about the game and it's development. Warning: some profanity.

(sorry about chat not being visible).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  9. John Bailey

John Bailey Member

Update:
    Myth Bearer Demo V1.2 is here!

Demo V1.2 changes include:
    - Changed the death penalty to respawn the player with half hp, instead of subtracting xp.
    - Added a death counter message near Lake Ignis.
    - Rewrote some of the NPC and message dialogues.
    - Minor bug fixes.

Note: V1.2 save data is not compatible with previous versions.

Download From:
    Itch.io: https://jc-bailey.itch.io/myth-bearer
    Game Jolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/mythbearer/442391
    Indie DB: https://www.indiedb.com/games/myth-bearer

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019