my z-tilting example/progress

rIKmAN

Nice one, that looks really good!

I personally don't think the clouds look too good at the moment (at least I think it's meant to be clouds?), but the rest of it looks great!

m0zzy

its supposed to be 'Mist' .. i agree that they would be better if they were more transparent, but with this z-tilting technique, u cant use alpha at all!
but.. I do think the 'mist' fits in with the rest of the 'retro' look .. if i recall, they didnt have alpha in the early 90s either .. ;)

F

FROGANUS

this footage looks really nice, like some modernized nightmare version of link to the past.
about the fog, i have to agree something's strange but maybe just how it sort of seems to disappear so quickly? i might suggest at least experiment with 'steadying' it in general, not popping up or disappearing (perhaps even a touch slower, imho).
eye keep an i on dis won..

m0zzy

Cheers! maybe its my retro rose tinted glasses that make it look ok .. :)
i like how it clips through stuff, everything is made too perfect these days .. ;)
but, .. the fact that peeps are mentioning it, it must look worse than i think ..

CMAllen

That's cool. I've often wondered why this sort of 'depth sorting' wasn't a core part of GM's drawing pipeline. The results are quite awesome.

cidwel

reaaally cool. I would love to see my game with a z-tilting engine just to test things.. Reminds to me to Project Octopath. It is a really good graphic resource to exploit. With dynamic illumination it can be really charming!

m0zzy

Cheers all .. this 'Effect' really does give a standard/uninspiring project a new lease of life! :)

J

JCube

Really nice, cool music, and z-tiling is quite unusual but not in the bad way. Graphism are appealing.
I want to see more :)

m0zzy

It is still VERY early days, so im not 100% sure which direction its going into ...
But (Call me a sicko) i have always wanted to make a 'Adult' zelda type game ... Any Ideas .?
Also .. im 'Rubbish' at art .. (its all from OpenGameArt.org) .. so if anyone is any good and want to make a main character or baddies ..i'll appreciate it .!! :)
Cheers!

S

ShroomTastic

Can you share how you tilted it cause I tried it and the code runs but the sprite doesn't get tilted

YawningDad

I love the look and mood you've achieved here. I wouldn't stress about the alpha/mist thing. Maybe just break it into smaller pieces (mistlets?). Good stuff!

D

deezeedude

I would like to know as well how to do this tiling effect in GMS2.

D

deezeedude

I looked at it again but was not able to replicate it on my own test project. I think you are right, this is for GMS2. I am just spanking new to GMS2. Like 2 weeks old lol.