• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux My work (so far) on making GM:S produce correct .deb packages

M

metroidchild

Backstory
So back on the old GM community I had a sticky in the way of how to install dependencies easily in Ubuntu (using a script), and how to patch the .deb packages using a different script I made.
This approach worked, but it only worked if certain condition met (specifically name constraints that is in the Debian policy for package names).

Areas of interest
This time around I want to attack the problem at its source, the scripts and files located in: %appdata%\GameMaker-Studio\Linux
These are: `app_install_yyc.sh`, `build_deb_yyc.sh`, `installer_runner.sh`, (and possibly `package_install.sh` and/or `app_shortcut.desktop`). I've not looked at the non yyc variants of the scripts but I assume they are similar.

Issues found so far
The main issues so far is the fact there is no `Installed-Size:` parameter in the internal DEBIAN/control file of the .deb, the fact the `Depends:` field doesn't list all depends a GM:S game needs by default and the fact the .desktop file doesn't end up in usr/share/applications instead of the Desktop folder.

I will update as I make progress on this, I already have a few of the scripts working but I need to confirm they fix the problem properly (and make a patch script so this'll be easy to fix for the average user until the work gets pushed to an update in the future). I might also explain how I fixed the scripts if enough people request it.