• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX My whole project is gone???

jermaine

I was just adjusting the sprite sizes and i inputted six images at once so that it would become an animation.
There were six images and by accident,one of the images were not editted and it was 500x310 while the others were 100x62.
after this happened,something happened to the sprite viewer which i do not know how describe.
if i am not wrong the sprite viewer ended up showing that it was in 500x310. but i couldnt locate the sprite at all.
despite it showing that it is there in the lower animation/frame thing.i cant see it.
im sorry if i dont remember this correctly but im pretty sure after i tried fixing it,
i decided to just exit the game and go back in hoping that it wasnt saved.
but when i went back in everything was empty,even the "recent windows" was empty.
and after awhile it would say that gamemaker studio is unstable and told me to exit.
i tried opening other projects and it showed up with no problem at all.
i hope someone can help me please?

Roderick

The solution to "It worked but now it doesn't and I can't revert it", regardless of what caused the issue, is typically "Restore your most recent backup."

You have been doing regular backups of all your projects, right?

jermaine

well...i don't think i have MANUALLY done a backup.and if backup you meant save then yea there are autosaves.
in my finder all there is is "flappy bird.yyp" with the gamemaker studio icon.flappybird is the name.
or there is also a file with basically all the sprites inside.
with every sprite there is a unrecognised file that always ends with a ".yy"
please help lol

jermaine

there is also one more thing i should mayb mention is that
when loading the game and when it shows nothing right...
at the output panel at the bottom, it writes:
"Verifying views...
No root view detected... automatically creating one
...done"

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Sounds like your project file got donked, but the resources are intact.

Load the last "autosave", if that is what you call a backup. If that's not the same as "incremental copies of older versions of the project", you've been neglecting to make backups and should start doing so to make sure you won't lose everything again if this happens again in the future. You should also start using source control.

Meanwhile, if your resources are still in the project folder, you can just import them back into the IDE via right click -> Add Existing.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You said that there's a "file" (folder?) with all the sprites inside... so what stops you from just re-importing them (and doing the same for the other resources)?

You make backups using backup software and use source control via source control software. GameMaker Studio 2 has integration for Git.

Yozoraki

Same thing happened to me during the game jam. All my objects completely vanished from existence out of nowhere, just from changing some sprite/room sizes. Blew my mind, it's never happened until I updated to 2.3. Definitely should be looked into

jermaine

hm...ok..ill do that.but i have a question.
when you said i could just re-import them.
then where exactly is the code.
unless its the unrecognised file that ends with ".yy"
then its no where to be found.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Open your project folder. There should be folders named according to the resource types, e.g. sprites, sounds, objects, rooms... your resources are most likely in those respective folders.

.yy files are metadata files about resources, usually storing resource properties or linking other files that are part of a resource together. You'll want to import those, as they essentially are the resource as represented on your storage.

chamaeleon

You have a mac it seems. Apple users swear by time machine from what I understand (I have no opinion on it myself, I steer clear of apple products). Seems like a logical first step towards implementing backups in conjunction with git source control.

D

Deleted member 16767

There are softwares that retrieve lost files, actually. Google for one free or a trial.

However, if the file is damaged, then there is nothing you can do I guess.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
This happened to me one time, and I went into the project folder and deleted the offending sprite folder. Then I reloaded the project. That sorted it out for me. Definitely learn github and hook it up to GMS2 so you can push updates right through Gamemaker. It will save your life.

D

Deleted member 16767

I need to point out that if windows restarts to update or your battery runs out of time, things that damage your files on GMS2 can happen too. Like if you are in the middle of clicking or typing and then your computer suddenly shuts down. So keep a track on it. I don't use git, I create new project folders whenever I've felt that I reached a milestone and I also keep track of the before mentioned.

I might use git later though, but mostly the crashes/damaged files has been my mistake and I've learnt it the hard way yesterday. I had to rewrite code from memory but I had a backup I made 2 days prior to that.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I need to point out that if windows restarts to update or your battery runs out of time, things that damage your files on GMS2 can happen too. Like if you are in the middle of clicking or typing and then your computer suddenly shuts down.
That won't have any damaging effects (at least not more so than a sudden power cut or interrupt when not clicking or typing). What's the real killer is when writing to storage is interrupted.

Toque

I’m an  guy. I use time machine. I use super duper for a full backup once a month. On external drives.

I save in increments. When I finish something I save pacman 100. Then add ghosts and save pacman101. Add scoring and save pacman102. Add movement and save pacman103. Etc etc.

if one file corrupts I only lose a little work and go back one version. It’s handy too if you get a nasty bug you can’t figure out. Just go back a version and try again.