• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

My testers reported graphic glitches

E

ElBebo

Hi everyone, I'm happy to see this forum re-opened after some months of work.

I'm developing a PC game and some of my testers reported me they met graphic glitches and code bugs that made the game unplayable. Other testers had no more of these problems when I compiled the build with the YoYo Compiler.

Does GameMaker: Studio made games have specs compatibility requierements? Can I prevent this situations? If yes, how?

Hope you guys will help me, thank you all in advance :)

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
The specs depend on what you do in the game. Basic GameMaker games should run on just about any hardware that's out today, but how well they run is up to the game and hardware. Some techniques require more horsepower, and sometimes you need to go back and optimize. It's kind of up to you and your testers to shake out issues like this.

I don't have a lot of experience with the YYC, but I do think it also has special requirements that can change/break things. You should check the manual.

R

Robert

I was thinking about this the other day actually. How would one go about deriving approximate minimum system requirements?

Roa

Well it depends on what they claim they saw and what you are doing with the game. Did none of them send back error messages? Are you checking or breaking surfaces? Are your shaders compatible with the platforms you targeted?

E

ElBebo

None of my testers received an error message and my game does not make use of shaders or other surfaces instead of the default one.
Is it possible some function cause issues to some GPUs in particular?

Roa

None of my testers received an error message and my game does not make use of shaders or other surfaces instead of the default one.
Is it possible some function cause issues to some GPUs in particular?
I couldn't possibly imagine. And if no one takes screen shots or has anything to share, then there is not much you can do. I've never really heard gamemaker having too many issues in general though. Its a pretty robust and all around hardware friendly system. I mean, I even got gamemaker to run on a pentium4 with windows ME on it- IDE and games. It can't get anymore compatible than that lol.

RangerX

To be able to help you anyways we would need to know about the actual bugs. "graphical glitch" doesn't mean jack, it can be 60 different things for 60 different reasons.