Android My smallest game is now 50megs?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by WWAZman, Sep 1, 2019.

1. WWAZman

WWAZman Member

You know I really didn't look when I updated my games 2 be compatible with Google's new requirements for 64-bit. I just checked the size and games are 50 megs?? And that's just for a simple game. Which architectures can I get rid of to shave some file size?

SilentxxBunny likes this.
  2. pipebkOT

pipebkOT Member

you can get rid of x86, x86_64 ,and mips if it's still there ,cuz they are obsolete.
    You only need armv7 and arm64.

you can use gml pragma "pngcrush" to reduce images file size

and use compressed sounds instead of uncompressed, to save file size.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  3. CombatCalamity

CombatCalamity Member

How much %% of file size is it going to cut by doing all of that?

4. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

5. CombatCalamity

CombatCalamity Member

I would do that but currently at work, without any machine that runs gamemaker, for the next 8 to 10 hours. The question, which is a case of estimation, literally doesn't take a few seconds to hit back if someone already dabbled around with this. Not to mention you need to have a project file that's outputting 50MB+ in the first place, so probably a little more than a couple of minutes. Also.. you're assuming everyone has a working android environment + its GMS mobile export all setup and ready to go.

If you don't want to answer you can just let others do it and simply ignore my request, I see a pattern of you doing this all the time to everyone around.

But thanks for that reference.

6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Oh dear LOL - which part of my post offended you?
    Was it the information that it is a quick fix to test it out or the link I gave you to the PNGCrush documentation?

But I did answer and gave you the link to the PNGCrush documentation, which I presume you didn't know about seeing as you thanked me for it after being snarky with me.

And thanks, I'm glad you noticed that when people appear to make no effort that I try to help them to help themselves, it means a lot.

7. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

@rIKmAN Answered your post with a perfectly polite and correct answer... the best way to help someone is to teach them to help themselves and by suggesting that you test it yourself he was doing just that. It's all too common for people to ask questions here that they can answer themselves with a little bit of effort, since asking here takes little to no effort at all... But by answering such questions, all we are doing is making the user lazy and incapable of doing proper problem solving in future. Try not to be so sensitive and if you are asking out of curiosity and can't test (as you suggest) then explain that instead of getting upset because someone dared to ask you to do something for yourself. ;)

8. CombatCalamity

CombatCalamity Member

So @pipebkOT, how much estimated %% of file size is it going to cut by doing all of that?

Or perhaps anyone know?

9. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

It's gonna depend a lot on how much data you have Vs how much code you have. (As well as other factors)

10. OnLashoc

OnLashoc Member

I read this whole post for future info in my own development and just wanted to add

@rIKmAN has probably helped me as far as quick on the spot answers without any compensation more than anyone else on this entire forum. Please don't ruin that for the rest of us lol newbs (been learning programming via GMS 2 for almost two years now and I'm still just scratching just beneath the surface of the power of it all).

I understand sometimes things get frustrating and time consuming but you have to remember the people answering our questions are people too and are helping out of their very own spare time.

Onnie

kumitassu, rIKmAN, Nocturne and 2 others like this.