My profile picture is doing this weird right hugging thing....

T

Tristan

I have the image at 400 by 400, I tried rescaling the image keeping the "400 by 400" and shrinking the logo and then trying reducing the size and adding blank space to the right side, no matter what I try it seems like its not moving, am I missing something dumb?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You're missing the time it takes to update the cache. It'll update itself in a few hours, or a day, or a week... or whenever it feels like it... :)

I suggest minimizing the amount of blank space, as having it would just shrink the miniature versions.

T

Tristan

So... I cropped the image back to a 400 by 400 .png with no black space. Then I click on the change avatar "button", and in the avatar pop up menu I reuploaded my image and left it for a few minutes. And now its hugging the left! :)

When you say I'm missing the time to update the cache, does that mean I have to wait longer in the avatar popup menu when I upload my sprite or do you mean just wait for the gmc server to update the cache.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Note that it has been hugging the left on my end ever since my first reply (and has never hugged the right). This makes me think that part of the issue (specifically the delay with showing the up to date profile picture) may be your browser cache (which you can clear via Ctrl+F5), while the other part could be the forum's cache.

About "missing the time" - that was supposed to be a slightly humorous way of saying "the forum cache updates whenever it feels like it".

About the side hugging... sorry, no idea what's causing that... I'd test this on my own profile picture, but that's not really feasible with the forum cache taking its sweet time to actually update it. :rolleyes:

Maybe try to re-save your avatar with a different image editor? There's always a potential that the file format is not fully compatible with the forum software, so changing format (or compression, or similar things) may help with getting things to look right. For reference, my profile picture was saved as a 32 bit per pixel PNG in paint.net and uploaded via Firefox 85.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
When you say I'm missing the time to update the cache, does that mean I have to wait longer in the avatar popup menu when I upload my sprite or do you mean just wait for the gmc server to update the cache.

You change the avatar and hit "save". That closes the window.. Then you go do whatever. Make coffee, make a few games, go to sleep. You don't have to do anything specific beyond that. Eventually the image will update everywhere.

T

Tristan

Alright! I'll try using a different image software after a day to see if the site fixes itself, and if that doesn't work I'll just change the image to something generic and call it a day. Thanks for your help :)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
60685.png
Well... now I've screwed it up. Accidentally removed the avatar while trying to reload it. Sorry. Jeez, can't we get some decent moderators around here?

Anyway, the original image seems fine. It was the added blank space causing the problem. I think if you just re-load it should be fine.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If it's of any consolation, the version you see to the left of posts currently looks fine to me... but the one on your profile page is solid black. :'D (We can probably blame the latter on chance. Or on chance, for that matter.)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
We can probably blame the latter on chance. Or on chance, for that matter.
Indeed. After I screwed this up, I asked @Nocturne and @rmanthorp to restore Tristan's ability to edit his avatar. So that part is fixed now.

But the avatar image showing in posts is still shifted left. And the avatar showing on the profile page is centered. Not sure what's going on.

@Tristan: All I can suggest at this point is to try another image and see what happens.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If it shows up fine on the profile then it'll show up fine on the forums too (I'm seeing it fine now after seeing only a black square all day)... Any issues of black images or side-swiped images are probably due to caching. F5 or SHift + F5 should fix that.

T

Tristan

T

Tristan

Weird why you guys are saying that.... oh I see it now. Opps...