My Nuclear Octopus is coming soon to Steam!

P

PsychicParrot

logoOnly.png

If you need constant loot boxes, endless powerups, crisp vector graphics, online challenges, multiplayer and 3d.. this is not the game you are looking for. On the other hand, if you love old style, pure of heart out-and-out arcade gaming, you and My Nuclear Octopus may just be on the verge of a beautiful friendship.

small_WESFT.jpg

smallJVqbFr.jpg

Walking into an amusement arcade during the 1980's overwhelmed your senses. The audio from every arcade machines screamed out for attention, each one fighting to grab the passer by, begging for you to feed it with coins.

My Nuclear Octopus is what might have happened had I been born a few years earlier and landed a job designing arcade games in 1984. It's loud, it's simple to pick up and it's tough as old badgers. The graphics are crunchy old sprites, something you might see in an old Commodore 64 game, a BBC Micro game or maybe even a 1980's arcade.

The logic is simple - you play for a few minutes, you get as far as you can, the game ends. Next time, you play again and try to beat your score. Somewhere along the way, the rest of the world disappears and you find yourself one with the Octopus, in some kind of harmony with the game as, for a short time at least, 100% of your focus goes into keeping back the marauders from another dimension.

Lose yourself for a short time, just like we did in the old days.

MY NUCLEAR OCTOPUS - WISHLIST IT ON STEAM HERE (please!)

Thanks for checking out my game :)

View attachment 32910

If you need constant loot boxes, endless powerups, crisp vector graphics, online challenges, multiplayer and 3d.. this is not the game you are looking for. On the other hand, if you love old style, pure of heart out-and-out arcade gaming, you and My Nuclear Octopus may just be on the verge of a beautiful friendship.

View attachment 32911
View attachment 32912

Walking into an amusement arcade during the 1980's overwhelmed your senses. The audio from every arcade machines screamed out for attention, each one fighting to grab the passer by, begging for you to feed it with coins.

My Nuclear Octopus is what might have happened had I been born a few years earlier and landed a job designing arcade games in 1984. It's loud, it's simple to pick up and it's tough as old badgers. The graphics are crunchy old sprites, something you might see in an old Commodore 64 game, a BBC Micro game or maybe even a 1980's arcade.

The logic is simple - you play for a few minutes, you get as far as you can, the game ends. Next time, you play again and try to beat your score. Somewhere along the way, the rest of the world disappears and you find yourself one with the Octopus, in some kind of harmony with the game as, for a short time at least, 100% of your focus goes into keeping back the marauders from another dimension.

Lose yourself for a short time, just like we did in the old days.

MY NUCLEAR OCTOPUS - WISHLIST IT ON STEAM HERE (please!)

Thanks for checking out my game :)
Welcome to the forum dude! I was reading your Steam store page blurb about the arcades back in the day... For some reason I will never forget the smell of the carpets and the nachos. I will be happy to wishlist your title.

P

PsychicParrot

Welcome to the forum dude! I was reading your Steam store page blurb about the arcades back in the day... For some reason I will never forget the smell of the carpets and the nachos. I will be happy to wishlist your title.
Hey, Sean! Thanks for the warm welcome 👍 and thanks for wishlisting my game!

Yeah I loved the arcades. I remember the smell of (damp?!) carpets and, where I lived, fish and chips.. it was def. a unique smell! I do miss the vibe. I loved that people would move in and watch over your shoulder when you did well .. even if that wasn't very often for me! It happened once or twice for me, but for the most part I was back in the crowd watching the wizards performing their arcade magic - wishing one day I could be as cool as they were :)

Anyway, cheers Sean!

Hey, Sean! Thanks for the warm welcome 👍 and thanks for wishlisting my game!

Yeah I loved the arcades. I remember the smell of (damp?!) carpets and, where I lived, fish and chips.. it was def. a unique smell! I do miss the vibe. I loved that people would move in and watch over your shoulder when you did well .. even if that wasn't very often for me! It happened once or twice for me, but for the most part I was back in the crowd watching the wizards performing their arcade magic - wishing one day I could be as cool as they were :)

Anyway, cheers Sean!
I was no good at the arcade games, but it was fun to hang out there.

P

PsychicParrot

I was no good at the arcade games, but it was fun to hang out there.
I could do fairly well at Galaxian when I was on a roll, but mostly I was pretty terrible at it compared to the others tbh!! I also spent a lot of time just hanging around because I was too skint to play. Battlezone, Tempest and Star Wars machines were the ones that took most of my money.. I *think* Star Wars was a lot more expensive at our arcade - not sure if that was because it was in a full seated cab or if it was just so popular they could do that, I don't remember. We're talking (cue old man voice) 1985 or somewhere around that .. so it's a bit hazy now! 😂