• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE My list for Studio 2, curious to get all of your opinions as well..

A

Ayziak

Aight, so I recently bought GMS2, and for the most part, I love it, but I've been having a few issues. I'd love to get some of them at least addressed.

Image Editor
-the copy-paste brush feature is almost unusable, it would be useful if it was more like GMS1.4. (I could see situations where image brushes would be useful however, but that could be mapped to CTRL+Shift+C).
-̶N̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶(̶e̶.̶g̶.̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶G̶M̶S̶1̶.̶4̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶S̶h̶i̶f̶t̶+̶<̶ ̶\̶ ̶S̶h̶i̶f̶t̶+̶>̶)̶.̶
̶-̶M̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶[̶U̶]̶I̶[̶/̶U̶]̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶[̶U̶]̶E̶[̶/̶U̶]̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶u̶ ̶(̶T̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶o̶n̶)̶
̶-̶L̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶'̶C̶'̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶C̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶.̶ ̶(̶I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶r̶u̶s̶t̶r̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶a̶c̶r̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶t̶ ̶'̶o̶'̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶)̶

Workspaces
-Black vertical lines between windows (This seems to be intentional, as it's in the demo videos, but at least to me it it looks weird and has no apparent function.)
-Autosave feature is too frequent, and should be adjustable in the settings.
-'DockTab' feature appears to be non-functional.
-Support for sideways scrolling

Room/Tile Editor
-for some reason, the different drop-down tabs will never all close.
-̶W̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶l̶p̶h̶a̶/̶o̶p̶a̶c̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g̶.̶
-Some way to have tiles off their grid.
-Object layers grid keep resetting to 32x32.

Don't get me wrong here, the program is amazing. Trust me, I understand how much work goes into something like this. This is just the opinion of a mostly happy customer, and all of these are just suggestions which I feel would make everything it all the better. :D

Thanks for reading
-Ayz

Last edited by a moderator:

Juju

Was discussing the copy-paste in the image editor with a newbie dev yesterday. We both agreed pasting in as a brush was a horrible way to do things. Probably the most awkward feature in GMS2.

A

Ayziak

Was discussing the copy-paste in the image editor with a newbie dev yesterday. We both agreed pasting in as a brush was a horrible way to do things.
Well it's good to know I'm not the only one.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Read the manual! Keys are in there!

1,2 to move between frames... 3 and 4 to play.
CTRL to "pick" colours while using another tool

As to tiles.... this isn't the way proper tiles work. If you want to overlay tiles, create another tilemap layer and add them there. Tiles are a single instance of a tile inside a grid. The "old" way wasn't tiles but graphical blobs, and were incredibly slow.

Don't know what you mean by "drop down tabs"....?

A

Ayziak

Read the manual! Keys are in there!

1,2 to move between frames... 3 and 4 to play.
CTRL to "pick" colours while using another tool

As to tiles.... this isn't the way proper tiles work. If you want to overlay tiles, create another tilemap layer and add them there. Tiles are a single instance of a tile inside a grid. The "old" way wasn't tiles but graphical blobs, and were incredibly slow.

Don't know what you mean by "drop down tabs"....?
Thanks for your response! Was totally unaware of 1,2,3,4 and ctrl, and the tile explanation now makes perfect sense. by 'drop down tabs', I meant the layers, room: Tiles, room: Properties, etc tabs. it would be less confusing to be able to close minimize them all, rather than having one always stay open.