• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows My License Stopped Working

M

magnumninja

So I launched Game Maker Studio 2 today and its giving me an error saying license is invalid and if I click the details it says license expired. I bought the license upgrade back when it was $59 or something dollars. It says that the license is permanent
screenshot-account.yoyogames.com 2017-01-24 08-56-34.png
I want to use Game Maker Studio 2 but it wont let me use it without logging in otherwise it closes. when I login it wont let me even tho I checked and logged into both my accounts for the main site and the forums on the browser. So I dont know if this is some kind of server problem at yoyo but I can no longer open Game Maker Studio 2 and this is really slowing down development. heres a screen cap of the error Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Serika

:(Having exactly the same problem. Why studio 2 can't be used without internet connection like 1?

M

magnumninja

I couldn't login before and now its working but still it gave me that error and it scares me that development can stop to a halt because of it.

I had the same issue. Just login again. EDIT: If you can't login then it seems to be a related, but separate issue.

:(Having exactly the same problem. Why studio 2 can't be used without internet connection like 1?
You don't need an internet connection (aside from fixing this, which seems to be rare). Not sure the cause, but I've only had it happen once.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
This seems to happen when you previously applied a closed Beta license (the free ones that were given out before the beta was publicly available for purchase) and then upgraded it to a proper Beta license. The closed Beta license remains active and, once it expires (one month, I think), this will happen until you log into your account again from within GM:S2. Then the proper license is recognized and used.

This seems to happen when you previously applied a closed Beta license (the free ones that were given out before the beta was publicly available for purchase) and then upgraded it to a proper Beta license. The closed Beta license remains active and, once it expires (one month, I think), this will happen until you log into your account again from within GM:S2. Then the proper license is recognized and used.
I started with the open beta and upgraded, so same issue? One month seems to be within the time frame of my problem.

S

Serika

But I can't log into my account. My internet connection is fine and I can ping gms.yoyogames.com properly. Now my development is totally stopped.
Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.21.58 AM.png

I had this before, it seems like some sort of online license check about 30 days or so is done to verify the license, but I;m not sure. I've gotten it twice since buting and about 30 days apart, should be coming up soon if my theory is correct.

EDIT:

Funny, I just tried after posting this and got the license invalid message, but it brought up the logon window for the YoYo account and I was able logon and verfity, got it without issue.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This is just like Studio 1.x, it requires a connection around once a month to validate licenses etc. So at least once a month you will need to re-authenticate. This is normally automatic, but if the license expires you may have to re-login.

This is just like Studio 1.x, it requires a connection around once a month to validate licenses etc. So at least once a month you will need to re-authenticate. This is normally automatic, but if the license expires you may have to re-login.
Under what conditions would it be automatic? It just came up again for me to re-login, and I never had to do this for 1.x

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If your session key expires then it will ask you to login again ( I think that is 14 days from the last usage, though could be less) - if you have not used it in the last month then it should also ask for login again (in the release that is coming soon we have changed the logic here so that it will fetch a new updated license every 7 days if you are logged in and the account server is available, so it does not wait until it has expired). So it should be more seamless now.

Russell

gnysek

Yeah, I've encountered it 3-4 times already, but always after week or two of inactivity. So looks it only happens if you don't use GMS2 often :)

T

Taylor Romey

I don't know if it's too late to post in this thread but I'm getting a similar error. On start up, Game Maker Studio 2 says my session expires, asks for my login, then says that the authentication failed and won't work. I'm not sure why ):