• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

My game needs a name

A

Acr515

I have a game that's in its very early stages that needs two things: a name for the game, and a name for the town. These two could end up being the same thing. But I have absolutely no idea what to name it. The game is very casual and has a strong focus on comedy and general stupidity.

Here's a description I wrote for the game a little while back:
Welcome to <insert city name here>! You are just an average guy, looking for an average life in an average city. So here you are!

Unfortunately, when you arrive to your new apartment, you realize that this may not have been the best decision. This city is crazy! Your neighbor is a lunatic, there’s crime running rampant on the streets, and the police are hardly competent to handle all of it! You decide that you should move out of the city. However, you don’t have nearly enough money to move out of the apartment. This prompts you to do whatever is necessary to gather the funds to buy a new home elsewhere. And when we say “whatever is necessary”, we mean you must do ANYTHING.
There are some screenshots.

This GIF is a battle scene, where the cheery mood is interrupted with heavy metal music (Imgur converted it to GIFV so I couldn't put it in the post)

This is the interior of a building I started working on today. Obviously it needs more walls and general complete-ness.

EDIT: Added more screenshots

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dreadshadow

Keep making the game, add some story and eventually you will come up with a name.
I think it will happen suddenly and one day, while you might not even be in front of your pc.
So, instead of a name, I suggest you to wait a bit. :p

F

F_Clowder

In interacting with the second spoiler in the first post, I think I just played a variant of Cookie Clicker :-D

Instead of the word "Mediocrity" you can make a pun / play on words for "Mediocri-city" or even "Mediocity"
Wasn't that the name of the city in that 3D cartoon with the big brain fella?

F

Fuzenrad

Hmm...
  • Norm, the human (Like sonic haha)
  • Going away
  • Otherwise
  • Goodbye
Compound names like the 'Zombies Ate My Neighbors' (Genesis)
  • My Normal Life
  • My Life Have Anything Nice
  • One Life Bit Crazy
  • My Neighbors Are Crazy!

L

Levithan

In interacting with the second spoiler in the first post, I think I just played a variant of Cookie Clicker :-D

Wasn't that the name of the city in that 3D cartoon with the big brain fella?
I kind of vaguely remember a cartoon with a name like "Medio - City"

S

Snail Man

Honestly, your game doesn't need a name at this stage. It will come to you when the time comes. Just use a constant wherever you reference the game/city name, then you can change it easily whenever you want

B

Blackened

Honestly, your game doesn't need a name at this stage. It will come to you when the time comes. Just use a constant wherever you reference the game/city name, then you can change it easily whenever you want
Couldn't agree with Snail Man more. Haha Yes! "A Colorful Life"

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
"A Colorful Life" would be an amazing pun since the game's all grayscale, I second that. :p

As for a town suggestion... I think any adjective/adverb that ends with 'city' would be a good pun, not just "Mediocy City". One of my favourite stock suggestions probably is Alcatrash City which sounds gritty and is a pun on the world's most famous prison... sounds suitable for your game.

The first title that comes to mind is "Happy Go Lucky" prompted by the main characters cheerful attitude in his elsewhat horrible situation - Not really a great city name, though ;) (unless the city's name is Lucky, or Lukkee or something like that)
That being said, I also agree with Snail Man - no need to rush the name ^^

A

Acr515

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I really like "A Colorful Life" and "Alcatrash City". I will think about it more as I go though, and these may or may not end up being my final decisions. Thanks again!

R

Rusty

Trump's America

Edit:
Seriously though, throwing two random words together isn't going to help you and again I need to scold my fellow GMC members for doing that.

What you want is to name your game on the game's most interesting lore aspects. I'm not going to even bother looking at a game called "Normal Guy" or "A Colourful Life" because it sounds like a boring life simulator and it looks like a boring life simulator with ping pong heads. Play really hard on the chaos around the guy and find yourself a main antagonist to base the theme of the game around.

"The Lunatic Next Door", "Psycho City" and "dEraNgeD" (highlighted letters spell "end") are all games I'm more likely to give a second glance to while scrolling through.

If you have a theme, do not shy away from it, do not play it down as a normal guy, do not play it down as a boring game experience. Play to the excitement. He could be in hell and not know it, trying to buy his way out in some twisted game with which he is being tortured forever. He could have been lured here by an evil estate agent (or a normal estate agent, they're all evil) who has some kind of bigger plan to exploit him. Really play into the themes of the psychopaths that surround him because frankly, your main character sounds like a snooze fest and that's going to turn gamer's off if you turn him into the focus.

Last edited:
N

nujumkey

Usually a pun or a pop culture reference is fun
Fight Club?
Stick town?
MonoChromatic City?

You can also use the name to give context to your city.
Business Town, in case your town is all about business :D

A

Andrea Dominante

The B/W Adventure

Where B/W is a reminder of the black and white thing while it will be found out later to be the name of the guy, Bob Whatever :D

S

SoulTie

I was going to come up with a name, but I really like BretHudson's suggestion. Also, I checked out your signature. I felt like a treasure hunter that ended up finding a penny.