my game making journey so far

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Yotzer, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Yotzer

Yotzer Member

One day i was telling to my brother that i always wanted to learn how to play the guitar.
    he said : do you know that there is a game to learn guitar?,it's called rocksmith 2014 ,you should buy a xbox.
    so i bought a xbox 360 and ordered the game online and started playing /learning .
    soon enough i started to download new songs and make costumed tracks,but it wasn't enough; the minigames,i started to wonder if i can make changes to their minigames,my few attempts turn out to be a disaster ,so i decided to learn how to make my own minigames .
    and this was the beginning,i googled (i wonder why the speller isn't high-lightening the word "googled" ,is it a real word?) ,anyway ,i started with rpg maker ,30 days trial and a weekend of youtube tutorials and i was making a game in no time ,i made a game level in one week and sent it to my brother and cousin to test it,the problems i found with this game engine is that every game is generic and you are very limited to only rpg classic battle system .
    no shooting? i needed a different engine...
    unity ? the whiteness of the free trial burned my eyes .
    unreal engine ,...mmm...what are all this ...things...is it in English?
    construt 2 : very nice but...if you want to make stupid little games as angry birds or flappy birds.
    i wanted to be able to able to make any game so i got into gms2 free trial forever or until you actually learn how to make a decent game ready to be deployed.
    i followed Shawn Spalding's tutorials and some Heartbeast tutorials and even other very nice tutorials .
    i can make a top down shooter game now but that's it,i am stuck in my recent level and don't feel as i can really make a game worthy ,about the games for playing guitar i just tottaly abandoned the idea,i don't think i will ever have the knowledge for that level .

2. Toque

Toque Member

Great story. I think you have the right attitude.

I think it’s wise to get proficient before doing your dream game.

Sometimes you have to find an engine that fits you.

Thanks for sharing. Good luck!!