• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE My game file after beta testing ends

Geoff Jones

I plan on partially building my world map using GMS2.0 beta. Will I be able to continue editing the same gamemaker file with the full version when it is released? Or will I get a dreaded messages saying "Sorry this was made with the beta version... start over you idiot"?

Reactions: xot

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The current Beta is a Beta for the TRIAL licence of GMS2. Once the open beta period is up, you will still have the Trial licence on your account and will still be able to use it. As far as I know the Desktop open Beta licence is the same setup. If you get the desktop open beta licence then once it's out of beta you will have a regular licence and still be able to use it.

Roderick

The current Beta is a Beta for the TRIAL licence of GMS2. Once the open beta period is up, you will still have the Trial licence on your account and will still be able to use it. As far as I know the Desktop open Beta licence is the same setup. If you get the desktop open beta licence then once it's out of beta you will have a regular licence and still be able to use it.
I think @Geoff Jones is talking about his project; will the (beta) project file still be compatible with the live version of GMS2, or will changes over the beta period render the project unusable with the version that ultimately goes live?

Unless they screwed something up REAL bad, and they need to completely rework one or more systems from the ground up, I imagine that the project file should load just fine in the live release, unless you do something silly, like deliberately making use of a bugged feature in its bugged state.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ah! Well, yes it should be as long as you have been keeping up with any bug fixes and updates throughout the beta period. Obviously there will be changes to both the runtime and the IDE over the course of beta (and after) but they will be incremental and as long as you apply each update as it comes out you won't have any problems.