My first true 3D model (I did another one :D)

Sedgwick2K

Soo, I've entered into the world of 3D modelling and I did a low polygon fictional Brass era (1905-1915) car from scratch as my first 3D experiment. I used ZModeler during this process.
I've named this fictional car "Singster". Its poly count is 352 at max (main bodyshell has only 40 by the way :D )
vintage_1.png
vintage_1b.png
vintage_1a.png
I'll be happy to recieve your opinions, suggestions and ideas.

Z

zendraw

i see a bunch of blocks really... why are you not using blender? its free and its profesional and is easy to use.

Sedgwick2K

i see a bunch of blocks really... why are you not using blender? its free and its profesional and is easy to use.
Blender's view relies on mouse much more than ZModeler and my mouse' middle button is a big time problem.
And speaking of "blocks"... it may be a great Minecraft addon, don't it? :D

Z

zendraw

Blender's view relies on mouse much more than ZModeler and my mouse' middle button is a big time problem.
And speaking of "blocks"... it may be a great Minecraft addon, don't it? :D
i dont see how making 3d with anything less dynamic as a mouse can be good? you can reconfigure blenders controlls, but even buying a new mouse to use blendere is worth it rather then what you are currently doing.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The model is fine for a first-time ultra lowpoly thing. Its missing front headlamps though, maybe a bumper but not necessarily.

About the Blender suggestion, I back them up 100%. Blender is very much more capable than anything else out there except for the subscription paid programs like Max and Maya and really competes in that arena despite the lack of price. If you keep going with your 3d modelling stuff you will very soon see you what you are missing and how hard you make things on yourself by not using better software. Its similar(but not exact) to why we use Gamemaker over making our own engine, its just easier, though there is a learning curve.

Sedgwick2K

The model is fine for a first-time ultra lowpoly thing. Its missing front headlamps though, maybe a bumper but not necessarily.

About the Blender suggestion, I back them up 100%. Blender is very much more capable than anything else out there except for the subscription paid programs like Max and Maya and really competes in that arena despite the lack of price. If you keep going with your 3d modelling stuff you will very soon see you what you are missing and how hard you make things on yourself by not using better software. Its similar(but not exact) to why we use Gamemaker over making our own engine, its just easier, though there is a learning curve.
The ones ahead windshield are front headlamps. And bumpers for a Brass era car are actually fairly uncommon.
About Blender though, while I said that my middle mouse button is problematic, which I saw Blender relies more on than ZModeler, this isn't the only reason. 3D modelling is also just a new experiment and hobby for me, not a necessity and priority at this time. And I'm actually familiar with ZModeler, I used to make few track prototypes for Midtown Madness 2. And last, it's a temporary situtation because I put it in a rest after seeing that Blender's interface and interactions was radically different from ZModeler. So, I'll make a few models on ZM, gain some decent exercise and move on Blender to (potentially) making mods for Midtown Madness 2 and Ford Racing 3.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The ones ahead windshield are front headlamps. And bumpers for a Brass era car are actually fairly uncommon.
So its missing rear headlamps then...the way the trunk is angled I thought it was the front honestly. And I'm not fully familiar with details of cars in those years, but I figured indeed that the bumper may not have been a common thing(why I said "not necessarily"). I'm guessing rear lamps may be a similar thing.

Sedgwick2K

So its missing rear headlamps then...the way the trunk is angled I thought it was the front honestly. And I'm not fully familiar with details of cars in those years, but I figured indeed that the bumper may not have been a common thing(why I said "not necessarily"). I'm guessing rear lamps may be a similar thing.
No problem. And taillamps were not truly mandate in the decade of 1900s, so still no problem there :D

Gamebot

Everyone has to start somewhere and I think getting to know how things are drawn ( x, y, z axes ) is a great step in the walking process. If you can add a little bit of color and ramp up the poly's I would like to see it again.

I started in Maya many years ago and well didn't do much not understanding the X, Y, Z axes as it got a bit confusing. Blender does just fine now...I found it was easier to switch the Y and Z axes. A little dyslexic sometimes.

Sedgwick2K

Thanks for all feedback you gave, everybody. I was absent from GMC for a while because of personal reasons after making this thread, so now I'm back again with a "slightly" better model. This time its a four door sedan with an extremely long hood.
kensignton_1.png
As you see, this model some serious holes and mismatches. Espicially the wheels, outcome wasn't intentional :D
This one has around 440 polygons by the way and misses underbody.
(EDIT: This model also sat for a long time. Only completed the wheels newly)