Music while programming

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by Pfap, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Pfap

Pfap Member

Does anybody else here listen to music while they program? I'm interested in finding out how you feel it affects your productivity or if you feel it is an addiction. Somedays, I feel I would be more productive without music, but can't bring myself to get to work without music. I feel it just helps "push" my mind along if that makes any sense. My habit is to pretty much pick one song and put it on repeat and then pretty much just forget it's even playing.
    I'm not interested in what kind of music you listen to specifically, but if it is relevant please leave the genre i.e. classical and any weird habits like if you listen on repeat or something else.

Cpaz, Kezarus, EvanSki and 1 other person like this.
  2. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

I do, usually OSTs of other games. It doesn't directly help me in any way, but it does indirectly, in a way that is most likely inapplicable to most other people.

It's sort of a self-hack I figured out over the years - whenever I'm not focused on anything, my Tourettes tends to take over, and at that point, it becomes impossible to focus on development. The logical conclusion I drew after a while was to provide my body with some other sort of permanent external stimulus, which ended up being a sufficient amount of sensory load from my favorite video game OSTs on shuffle to keep my mind from entering Tourettes mode whenever I'm not actively working on something or thinking about how to do something, but instead ending up with me subconsciously humming along whatever track is currently playing, much to the dismay of people in my general vicinity.

At least the threshold of auditory disturbance this creates is lower than the alternative route that involves me screaming "I'm a horny noodle man" on repeat and slowly but surely descending in a self-escalating downward spiral of obscene expletives due to my resulting total inability to focus on development, which may or may not be related to my medical condition anymore at that point, though.

3. Pfap

Pfap Member

I occasionally break out in song too, I think it helps me stay calm as well. Especially, if things aren't working how I think they should lol.

4. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

I have at least one playlist for every state of mind || desired state of mind.

Similarly - I use music to help me "hack" my shchizophrenia. When I'm not focused on anything: I'm either working with an imaginary dev team or listening to several (omnipotent) critics ream me. Music helps me tune out the voices and set myself up to code, do promo, write, do the dishes, etc. If I'm "in the zone" (especially while coding) I don't usually notice when/if the music stops.

I listen mostly to indie rock and rap music (but I also enjoy 8 bit chip-tunes, acoustic guitar/piano instrumentals, Zelda OSTs, and low-fi hip-hop tracks.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Pfap likes this.
  5. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

I dont play music, but I usually play white noise or drone sounds in the background.

I've found that they really help improve concentration.

6. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

White noise rocks. I use it around-the-clock on "bad days" with/without music.

I've maintained a "Soundtrack To My Life" playlist for the past five years or so.

For late-night programming - I find hour-long loops of "Animal Crossing Nighttime Music" are the perfect thing.

One last thing: I always listen to ZELDA II RAP as my "hype song" when I first sit down to code:

Please Note: Explicit Language contained in all links except for "White Noise, Black Screen" and "Animal Crossing Nighttime Music."

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 3:39 AM
    StunnGabe and Pfap like this.
  7. dynastic

dynastic Member

Usually like math rock or something. CHON, An Endless Sporadic, stuff like that. Lot's of post-hardcore too (Dance Gavin Dance, Sianvar, Emarosa, Hail The Sun, etc)

StunnGabe likes this.
  8. Andy

Andy Member

I sometimes do, but it largely depends on my task at hand. For example, I can't listen to music and do difficult math at the same time.

StunnGabe and Pfap like this.
  9. Pfap

Pfap Member

Yea, that's an interesting point... I've currently been doing more debugging and trying to get a project wrapped as opposed to laying any major groundwork. Although, after listening to a song on repeat it probably just fades into the background for me.

Kezarus likes this.
  10. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

I listen to electronica or whatever song I feel like listening too, coding to earthbounds onette theme, or some heavy intense stuff like carpenter brunt -roller mobster
    one of my playlists

11. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Pfap and StunnGabe like this.
  12. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

I listen to my whole music collection on shuffle. Mostly metal albums and video game OSTs.
    The energy from most of these tracks puts me in a good mood and seems to make me feel a wee bit more motivated. I feel like I can focus better and drown out everythingelse around me too.
    The only problem comes from when a song comes on that I really love. I will sometimes get too into it and get distracted by how good it is. And on the rare occasion I will need to stop and play some guitar.

13. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I’ll be in the minority here I’m sure, but I listen to podcasts while coding.

Either audio only on iTunes etc or I put YT on another screen when they have the studio cameras as well.

KPJ, tsm, Pfap and 2 others like this.
  14. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

I either put on my whole music library, or listen to the JennyMusic rock playlist on YouTube.
    Only time I can't listen to music while working on my game is when I am trying to test any sounds, music, volume, etc. in my game. Other than that music is almost always playing when I am coding.

SilentxxBunny and Pfap like this.
  15. thrash

thrash Member

When working, most of the time I listen to Dark Ambient, or North Ritual Folk like Wardruna or Heilung.

16. Mert

Mert Member

I've read that surgeons listen classical music when operating surgery. Try it, really awesome :)

Pfap likes this.
  17. tsm

tsm Member

Same! I listen to music while doing pretty much everything else (chores, commuting, writing, working at my day job) but podcasts go really well with coding and designing levels, for some reason.

rIKmAN likes this.
  18. sitebender

sitebender Member

Yes, always, but it can't be new or distracting. New makes me focus on it too much. So I go with things I know that fit into the background and entire albums, because there are highs and lows. It's also a good way to mark 30 or 60 minutes.

It baffles me how people can listen to podcasts while they "work." I must have a simple mind where I can only focus on work or the podcast.

My cousin works in the ER. It depends on the surgereon. Back when she was a nurse in the army... their surgeons would play rock a lot until someone would yell turn that stuff off. Then she's worked for hospitals that just have country music playing in the ER, but I assume it's just that area's genre. One surgeon she hated working with would often sing opera... while performing surgery. She said he was a terrible surgeon and would forget things or need to be reminded. Yet he had like 20 years of experience.

19. The-any-Key

The-any-Key Member

20. RefresherTowel

RefresherTowel Member

My go to has been either a classical music channel on a streaming service or Modest Mouse's "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank". The number of times I've listened to that album on a roadtrip or whatever, god...It's great and it has the perfect balance of manic energy combined with calming repetition (once you get to know it). And if I do want to pause my coding for a few moments/minutes it conjures a plethora of great memories associated with the songs. Other than that, probably Muse. I have them ingrained in my mind to the point that I can just put on any album and it becomes background music immediately.

21. Kyon

Kyon Member

If I really want to concentrate I put this on:

Animal Crossing music with Rain & Fire sounds. The repetitive sounds work really well.
    Sometimes I also listen to the Last of Us or HyperlightDrifter soundtracks, they work really well to get inspired.

And other than that I'm just really into anything emo or noiserock, but stuff with lyrics mostly don't work for me when I really really have to concentrate.
    Some instrumental post-rock sometimes?

SilentxxBunny likes this.
  22. Filkata

Filkata Member

I usually play music without lyrics when I want to concentrate at work (I am a programmer), I find lyrics distracting, also unfamiliar songs. So I try to stick to liquid DnB that I know in such cases.

23. Old School Ben

Old School Ben Member

Agree. Lyrics are extremely distracting. I usually work in silence or with instrumental music.

Azure Knight and Filkata like this.
  24. Azure Knight

Azure Knight Member

I personally like to listen to sad jazz, it's so relaxing and helpful especially when I'm making pixel art or doing coding.

25. curato

curato Member

Yes, music without lyrics or sometimes tv shows I have seen a bunch. But, classic, jazz, or even movie sound tracks. I do like to stream Star Wars sound tracks they are always good an no lyrics to distract you.

26. Dather32

Dather32 Member

When I used to program, no.

27. funkygallo

funkygallo Member

C=64 music

Mike, Mick and IndianaBones like this.
  28. Rukiri

Rukiri Member

I find killer music on YT and hit the IDE as if it were the gym!

29. Rob

Rob Member

In general I don't listen to music but I will to help me get through some boring repetitive coding sometimes. If I need to think about lit what I'm doing then I have to switch it off as I find it distracting

30. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

I listen to my collection of usable game music (stuff I composed myself, stuff I found on OpenGameArt, stuff I got in a gamedev humble bundle, ...) when I program... stuff with lyrics usually makes me start typing out the lyrics and generally getting unable to focus on coding, game OSTs are a bit illegal and I don't have a lot of songs I like listening to on repeat anyway, so I figured I'd be more efficient if I constantly forced myself to be aware of what music I could use for my games and what songs are suitable for what purpose - I usually add music pretty late in development so this works out perfectly for my workflow (I know exactly what music to use once I get around to doing it)

SilentxxBunny likes this.
  31. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

Another option if you are distracted by lyrics and just want some very epic tracks to listen to, then you could try the Epic Music World playlists on YouTube.
    I've been listening to their "Best Epic Music" playlist repeatedly - some very awesome stuff in that one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RogueOfAvatar/playlists

32. Dan1

Dan1 Member

One I tend to find quite good is a genre called Eurobeat just because it's fast beat and even if there are lyrics, they're not intrusive enough to distract you :)

33. Amon

Amon Member

For all night coding I love listening to this:

34. Gravedust

Gravedust Member

I think my favorite programming music is Synthwave since it is (often) very nice, deep and bassy, repetitive so it leaves your immediate consciousness fairly quickly, but not -quite- relaxing, and often the tracks are quite long. There are very seldom any lyrics either, which will distract me a lot unless I've heard the song a bunch of times.

Plus you feel like an 80's hacker. :D

The Midnight is pretty good, though they will sneak lyrics in there sometimes. >:|
    this is probably my most favorite track.

Would recommend just about anything by Le Matos. I cannot pick a favorite so here is one at random:

And some Todd Terje, because TODD TERJE. The build on this one is INSANE.

Stopping now beause otherwise this will be a 'Music Gravedust Thinks Is Great' post, which will be a very long post.