• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Multiplayer

F

Filip Spasic

Hi, me and a friend had an idea for a pvp game, we started working on it, but only recently found out that making it online multiplayer is said to be extremely hard since it has to be lag free.

Our game would be 1v1, is there an 'easy' way to make it online multiplayer, or is it difficult regardless of the number of players? Is there any tool that can help? (found something called GMnet engine, should i look into it)

CloseRange

No matter what making multiplayer is hard even if you use an engine.
This isn't because of lag though. I've done quite a lot of work with online games and it's still hard.
Normally when you make an error in a game you have to do some back tracking on code to figure out the error,
make an error on an online game and debugging becomes 10x harder.

It's hard to pinpoint the small flaws in code because, let's say you can't connect to the other player. Well all that happens is it says you can't connect.... there are a thousand reasons why you might not connect though.

This might scare you but DON'T be scared. You have an idea and you need to do it. You might scream. You might run into problems. You might want to scream. You might even fail. You will improve no matter what, there's no way you'll become a worse programmer from it.
There are lot's of great tutorials out there for doing multiplayer games. Follow along on one and try to do it yourself.

B

babs!

No matter what making multiplayer is hard even if you use an engine.
This isn't because of lag though. I've done quite a lot of work with online games and it's still hard.
Normally when you make an error in a game you have to do some back tracking on code to figure out the error,
make an error on an online game and debugging becomes 10x harder.

It's hard to pinpoint the small flaws in code because, let's say you can't connect to the other player. Well all that happens is it says you can't connect.... there are a thousand reasons why you might not connect though.

This might scare you but DON'T be scared. You have an idea and you need to do it. You might scream. You might run into problems. You might want to scream. You might even fail. You will improve no matter what, there's no way you'll become a worse programmer from it.
There are lot's of great tutorials out there for doing multiplayer games. Follow along on one and try to do it yourself.
Sorry for the big quote, and this is directed for Filip Spasic,
I'm currently making an online game, and yes, it is difficult. But lag isn't much of an issue as you might think it is. Yes it will lag, but you must "allow" some lag, you should send the least amount of data as you can to reduce lag, along with that, particles and other effects should be limited. Make as much as you can client side and make only what you need server side.

Making an online game can be difficult, and learning how it works can be annoying, but I gave myself sometime to learn it and now that I kind of know what I'm doing, I really enjoy networking. Just go for it. You can dm me if you need some help(I don't know that much though, but I've been doing networking for about 5 months on and off).

The-any-Key

No such thing.

'easy' way to make it online multiplayer
No such thing.

GMnet engine
Like GM itself, GMnet is a tool, remember that. It's not a car. It's a tool that you can use to build a car. You cant go into the tool and drive it like a car.

Multiplayer is like creating a puzzle. Each piece need to have the shape to fit the surrounding pieces of the game and its image to fit into the big picture. This is not an easy task. But you always get better on it, the more you do it. Tips is to start small. So make the first game in LAN, then try use "LogMeIn Hamachi" to make it "online". Then start to check what is needed to make it a online.

Online is a jungle filled with predators like firewalls and slow ISP. But you just need to equip your game to face these obstacles.

Last edited: