Multiplayer in Game MAkere 8 Pro

H

HyperAdrian

So I want to make a multiplayer game in Game Maker 8 Pro.I don't want to download Game Maker Studio
cuz as you know my PC is made out of potatoes with Windows XP.I want to make at least 2 block that move and shoot.Also I don't want to download a packages for it.Lets see if it is possible to do this cuz when I look on the youtube for this only show me to do with GMS and others that are incomplet

L

LilRony

It's entirely possible to make a local multiplayer game in GameMaker 8, especially something as simple as you suggest, as long as there it's not online.

The first thing you should realize is that while it may seem like there are barriers in GameMaker from doing multiplayer, there aren't! There is no special checkbox that says "this game is 2-player." It is your job to make it 2 players.
In order to achieve this, you would need not only an obj_player object, but also obj_player2. In theory, obj_player2 is identical to obj_player. However, player2 will almost always have different controls (if the game is using the same keyboard for both players. I'm not too informed about having two keyboards that use the same controls, and I'm not sure if GameMaker 8 supports it...)

If you are able to make a game where enemies shoot lasers at you and you get a game over when you touch too many, you can easily make it multiplayer. All you need to do is have have two player objects controlled by different keys, and instead of a game over, you should have a "p1 - winner | p2 - loser" or vice versa.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If you mean online multiplayer, well

The only networking functions GM8 had were the mplay_ ones which were deprecated 14 years ago. While they probably still work on similarly outdated Windows XP, there were many issues and people stopped making proper tutorials for them a long time ago for that reason.

So your next best option would be to use FaucetNetworking DLL (which is reasonably stable) but I'm not sure if people made tutorials for it specifically so you're in for some fun

Overall I'd recommend doing a local multiplayer game in GM8 and then trying to do online multiplayer when you get a better computer and GMS.