• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Multiplayer for iOS

L

Leonard Menchiari

Anyone has any experience with multiplayer or knows if it's even possible to have online functions on Android and iOS in GameMaker Studio 2?

L

Leonard Menchiari

That's very interesting. Any idea of how to achieve it directly in gamemaker without additional tools (if possible)?

Mert

Yes, i succeed this with Firebase

Marketplace:
You shouldn't really use Firestore/Realtime DB for multiplayer functionality as it has a hardcapped 1 read/write for 1 document per second rule, and has a background delay for the transactions. Although it's lightning fast and semi-automatically scales, it's not really well suited for multiplayer games that demands intensive package transmissions.

Not to say that even though you find a workaround for the hardcapped rule above, all of the other methods would dramatically increase the Firebase pricing.

Kaguva

Hi Mert

You shouldn't really use Firestore/Realtime DB for multiplayer functionality as it has a hardcapped 1 read/write for 1 document per second rule
Why are you saying that RealTime DB is "hardcapped" by 1 read/write for 1 document per second rule? That is totally fake (but true for Firestore)
Firebase Realtime Database charge you for download and stored sizes

My matchmaking and multiplayer systems are based on RealTime database not in Firestore

You can confirm prices on the official pricing page

it's not really well suited for multiplayer games that demands intensive package transmissions.
It's true, Firebase isnt for intensive package transmissions, but Im showing/promoting a intensive package transmissions game?
Firebase is very suitable for turn-based and low latancy games, and Firebase-Google teams are promoting the use of Firebase on Turn-Based games

Here you can see recently video of Firebase team promoting/talking the use of Firebase on TurnBased games (and using Firestore!!!)

Not to say that even though you find a workaround for the hardcapped rule above, all of the other methods would dramatically increase the Firebase pricing.
"Increase the Firebase pricing"..... let see my numbers to see if is profitable.

+259.30usd from Dominoes Social RU version +406.17usd from Dominoes Social -1.13usd for the use of Firebase is a positive total of: 664.34usd

So i think is very profitable use Firebase as backend

Dominoes Social Russian version
1615419477065.png

Dominoes Social:
1615419500489.png

Payments for use of Firebase (I can't up more than 5 images in one post sorry)
1615417938542.png
1615417958990.png
1615417978043.png
14.47mxn + 5.05mxn + 4.01mxn = 23.53mxn = 1.13usd

If you have more "information" about why I shouldn't use Firebase as backend please let me know

Have a nice day ;)

Last edited:

NeutronCat

I'm not sure if GMnet will work for you. It has been tested on Android according to the description in the homepage.

I have not tested it myself.