Much better than before

R

Rodrigo macknight

Just want to tell whoever made the changes to the forum, congratz.
I used to go straight to reddit to post some doubts about GM:S oir GML but now the forum seems more active, with lower response time, and i changed my [default] place for questions and interactions.

Also wanna say that the community is also better than before!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I think the community seems a lot better than before because currently, only the most devoted members are still around and/or noticed the forum was back. Not to mention we have a 100% active member rate at the moment since everyone literally registered yesterday :p

R

rui.rosario

only the most devoted members are still around and/or noticed the forum was back
That's because everyone is trying to get the maximum recognition possible (recognition they had before, for most of them) before the forums are crawling with member and spam bots and all that nasty stuff again :p

GMWolf

aka fel666
hopefully this new forum will have fewer spam bots... Whats the point of a forum switch otherwise? (asside from the average forum software, and frequent attacks it had...)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Whats the point of a forum switch otherwise?
What is a forum administrator but a miserable pile of secrets? :p
(In Nocturne's case, it's the ability to wear sunglasses like a total badass action hero, but details.)

I'm pretty sure the reasons for the forum switch were detailed in the last few announcements on the old forum, but security was one of the main reasons, as well as the old forum software being almost impossible to customize without losing the ability to download security updates. (Which is also pretty much a security issue, I guess, on second though)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Give it a few more days this place will be burned to the ground and you're all going back to the old forums.
My views once where that fighting the roy was futile.
"Do as he says! you fools, dont you see we can cooexist? so what if he tries to establish a dominion?". Such where the talks i would give people, in hope to save our species.
But now i see that coexistent is not an option, and we must do whatever needs to be done!
In the will or the skill to fight, we are going to take part! We will not fail! And regrettably, I now believe, that only force will make hime leave!

The futur is for those who take it, nothing is easy, and the best things are the hardest!
dont mind my exessive plagiarism...

S

SuperSlim

I just hope the forum doesn't run out of steam because it's a very fun and useful place!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm more surprised there already people with more than 50 posts. Dayum!
It's not that hard if you intentionally try to post as much as possible. It gets slightly harder if you try to not make it in an obvious way, though. Maybe I should lower my standards... :p

BTW, awesome feature. Select a part of a post and hover above it. A "quote/reply" thingie should show up. It's AWESOME.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This is getting very derailed very quickly...

BTW, has anyone noticed the partial quote/reply feature? Try highlighting parts of a post and hover over your selection.

R

rui.rosario

BTW, has anyone noticed the partial quote/reply feature?
I have noticed it after my second or third post and have been using it a lot! It's one of the most helpful features that was added. That and reordering of the quotes.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
My favourite feature probably is being able to Ctrl-V images directly into posts. You don't even need to copy image data, you can Ctrl-C them from a folder and then paste them directly. It's super useful to show off pixelart and stuff, or point out where the "clear compiler cache" button is, and stuff like that.
upload_2016-6-22_1-1-17.png

Or, I dunno, maybe I prefer the Ote/RE feature. Hard to tell at this point.

GMWolf

aka fel666
The greate part about the +quote is that it makes it much easier to quote between topics. like, super easy!
  1. do the + quote
  2. go to another topic
  3. upload_2016-6-22_1-8-30.png
Having one note bound to [windows+n] is great too... posting screen clippings to the GMC is now officially the best thing i have done all day!

Repix

Oh and even better is the instant alerts as I just noticed. Not having to refresh the page is kind of cool.

K

Keano

Yea was a bit surprised on how there's a lot of active members on the forum daily

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I think most people that's around this time are pretty active to begin with; most passive members maybe didn't even notice the forums got taken down for upgrades yet. Since everyone literally registered yesterday, anyone that just got very small, temporary surges of activity probably still are affected by them. And those who are going to stay active... probably are active even the first 48 hours.

R

rui.rosario

I can speak for myself, I'm only this active because I've spent the day doing nothing and the Forum is new. I'll try to remain as active as possible but I know there'll be a time when I won't have time to make over 30 posts in a day.

K

Keano

I think most people that's around this time are pretty active to begin with; most passive members maybe didn't even notice the forums got taken down for upgrades yet. Since everyone literally registered yesterday, anyone that just got very small, temporary surges of activity probably still are affected by them. And those who are going to stay active... probably are active even the first 48 hours.
Yea I agree with you, I wasn't really active on the old forum. But I notice we have old members that signed up but was rarely active on the old one, now they want to
change that for the new forum. Which really helps the community be more active then the old one(not saying the old forum wasnt active at all, because it still was)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Im mostly being active today, not only because the forums are brand new and shiny, but because i know i wont have regular internet access for days to come! so im trying to fit in as much as i can!

R

rui.rosario

But in this brutal fight for likes and glory, that attitude is harmful. You don't want to lose to people who post a few more times a day or make silly posts that get tons of likes, do you?
True, but I rather earn likes by integrity and helpfulness rather than "silly posts" :p

G

Greenhawk

I wouldn't consider a post that makes other people happy silly ;)
Threatuna would XD Just kidding but I completly agree with the amazingnes of this new forum. It seems like we're all connected closer than before! (especially if you were in the discord chat during the forum construction)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Nice! Pasting a YouTube link will embed the video directly!
I can see this being both super usefull and quite annoying if all you want is the link.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I were in the Discord chat but mostly didn't actually visit it... #general was too silly for my taste and I preferred to just have private chats with my closest friends. I'm glad there's finally some sort of structure for our GMC interactions.