MQTT support

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by gjt211, Jul 25, 2016.

1. gjt211

gjt211 Guest

First off, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I looked through each forum trying to decide where to ask this question and hopefully correctly decided on this one. Please advise if I am incorrect.

I would like to be able to use the MQTT messaging protocol with network connection.
    For those that don't know do a quick web search for MQTT. Simply, it is a lightweight publish/subscribe messaging system for use over various networks. I use Mosquitto MQTT and Paho MQTT on my web servers for publish/subscribe messaging. It is also widely used for IoT.

Now I would like to be able to use Gamemaker with these messaging systems. Is there any way to build/compile or incorporate a 'C' source code file into Gamemaker?... Or possibly is YoYo games possibly thinking of including this in a future release?

Thank you in advance.

2. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

You can't incorporate anything "into GameMaker". But you can include extensions with exported GM games you create. (Perhaps that's what you meant.) Windows games can use DLL extensions, HTML5 games can use Javascript extensions, etc. Check the GM manual for "extensions" to see all the options.

There are also built-in networking features that you might find sufficient for your needs.

3. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

Yes, you can do this via an extension - but you'll have to write it yourself. HTTP "post" and HTTP "get" are built in, so if you're talking to webservers perhaps you could use a REST API instead if you can't create an extension?

4. Jack McRip

Jack McRip Member

Is there an extension "MQTT Client" now?
    I found it is a nice idea to connect Games with Things in Smart Home or Smart Wear or Smart Toys.

5. Jack McRip

Jack McRip Member

MQTT is a communication protocoll to connect many things with the MQTT broker.
    The priority of this protocol is fast and low bandwide communication.
    These are the programming languages that can support MQTT:

Actionscript
    Bash
    C
    C++
    Clojure
    Dart
    Delphi
    Erlang
    Elixir
    • hulaaki - An Elixir library (driver) for clients communicating with MQTT brokers(via the MQTT 3.1.1 protocol).

• Exmqttc - Elixir wrapper for the emqttc library.
    Go
    Haskell
    Java
    Javascript / Node.js
    LotusScript
    Lua
    .NET / dotNET
    Objective-C
    OCaml
    Perl
    PHP
    Python
    REXX
    Prolog
    • MQTT Pack - Mosquitto library as a SWI-Prolog pack
    Ruby
    Qt
    • qmqtt - MQTT Client for Qt
    Shell Script
    • bish-bosh, supports bash, ash (including BusyBox), pdksh and mksh.
    Smalltalk
    Swift
    • CocoaMQTT - An MQTT client for iOS and OS X written with Swift
    Tcl
    SOURCE: https://github.com/mqtt/mqtt.github.io/wiki/libraries

MQTT in GML will make GameMaker more Smart ;-)