• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Moving objects within a Room + a few questions

Slyddar

1. In GMS you could use CTRL+arrows and Shift+arrows to move objects 5 and 10 pixels. They seem to have removed this now. It was such a useful feature. Has it been moved somewhere else I missed? Surely this is something they need to put back.

2. Also is the only way to see an objects x,y in a room to double click on it? It used to be so useful to have the scale and coords in one location and you could click between objects to see differences fast.

3. Lastly is there a way to have new code windows just open on top, or slightly offset to the current object/window you have open? Having to use the resources view to select a new objects code is slow, and moving with middle mouse up and down looking for the open window is even slower. I used to love having everything available on top of each other, and clicking between open windows was fast and efficient. If a window was buried you had just worked on, you could CTRL-TAB, or CTRL-SHIFT-TAB to quickly select it. Now instead of a snappy switch, it opens another window and the one you were just working on is placed ALL the way down the bottom. Wouldn't it make more sense to place recent windows at the top?? This is the most annoying thing. If the list would sort with recent windows at the top, you could easily click the last one. To have it sort the wrong way makes no sense.

Being new to GMS2 I'm just amazed at how much slower the UI is to work in, with many useful features removed.

Last edited:

Slyddar

In relation to my problem 3, I've logged a bug report and it's been acknowledged the sorting is the wrong order, so hopefully that will be patched in the future.

Adding a new one here.
4. When looking at the sprite window in 1.4, before any editing, you had the left and right arrows to move through the sprites frames. The only way I see to do this in 2 is to click on each individual thumbnail up the top. The arrows were really useful, and seem such a simple UI inclusion. Is there still a way to do this with shortcut keys, or is it just an omission to leave the arrows out?

5. Why is the close window icon such a tiny target? It's something you press more then most other buttons yet it takes the longest time to get the mouse on the spot. Couldn't we have a bigger mask on the button and possibly increase the title bar height to allow for it. The close checkbox in 1.4 was great, the method in 2.0 seems like another step backwards just to appease design. It's the same when you want to open the Collision Mask section when viewing a sprite. Surely YoYo could allow us to just click on the heading "Collision Mask" instead of the little tiny triangle to open the section. Sure it's a small thing, but when you open these up so much these time savings add up.

Last edited: