• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Moving License from one machine to another.

D

Dan Scott

Hey guys.

I bought a license for game maker studio 2 working on a mac.
I am losing access to that mac, I will now have to start working on a pc.

Does anyone know of a way to migrate the license I bought for the mac, so i can instead use on the PC?

rIKmAN

Hey guys.

I bought a license for game maker studio 2 working on a mac.
I am losing access to that mac, I will now have to start working on a pc.

Does anyone know of a way to migrate the license I bought for the mac, so i can instead use on the PC?
Did you buy the Creators licence or a permanent Desktop licence?

Creators is tied to exporting on the platform you chose when you bought it and can't be changed, but if it was a permanent Desktop licence then you can simply download the Windows version of GMS2 and login with the same account details as the licence covers use of both Windows+Mac IDE's and exporting to Windows, Mac and Linux.

The info on licences here: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002637011-Which-Licence-Is-Right-For-me- seems to suggest that you could login to the Windows IDE and "Test" your project but not export an exe, but it also mentions restricted project sizes which hasn't been a thing since they moved to the 30-day Trial so it seems to be out of date.

If you do have a Mac Creators licence you could upgrade to the full Desktop licence with a 30% discount while your 12mth licence is still active, or keep an eye out for a future sale - although I'm not sure they will allow the 30% discount on any active sale price.

Last edited:
D

Dan Scott

thanks man, I found this information shortly after posting the Q.

thanks for taking the time to answer.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
To add to what @rIKmAN says... If you have the Creators licence for Mac and want to move to PC, then contact the helpdesk and make a request to change the licence type from Mac to PC. I don't know whether they will or not, but it's worth a try and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't...