• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - GML Visual Moving assets between layers

T

Tec

I just got GMS2 because the layer-based room editor looked like a great improvement. I tried to import a project of mine and rework my old room setups. Tried to rename the layers that were automatically generated during import of the old project and create some new ones to reorganize everything. My problem is that I am not able to move assets/sprites between the layers.

If I try to drag an asset form the "Instance Creation Order List" to the asset list of the "Layers Properties" the editor displays a green arrow next to the cursor.....but I still can't move the entity. How do I organize objects and move them from one layer to another one?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Cut and paste them. You can select them on one layer (use CTRL +LMB to select multiple) and then do CTRL + X and select the layer to place them on then CTRL + V.

gnysek

Cut and paste them. You can select them on one layer (use CTRL +LMB to select multiple) and then do CTRL + X and select the layer to place them on then CTRL + V.
The problem is, that they will get new random name this way, but creation code will remain same. So this isn't exactly moving, rather creating a copy.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Yeah, good point. This does seem like an omission, so file a bug suggesting that something be done to enable moving assets between layers.

T

Tec

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. That helps a lot. Organizing via drag&drop would be a lot easier, but for now this works. Unfortunately the assets are also not directly pasted in place but tend to be moved a bit.:confused: