• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Most useful navigation/workflow tips for Game Maker Studio 2?

R

rob2d

Hi all,

So I've recently jumped back into game maker after doing non-game software development for a while (its been many years), and I was finding that as a heavy GML user, the interface is not so intuitive to navigate around between scripts, objects, etc. I think this is due to just being inexperienced with it. Currently, I have a bit of a self deadline, and it's been a bit overwhelming to go through everything (though it hasn't been a bad experience).

So I was hoping to ask some of the most experienced members:

(1) what are some of the most common keyboard shortcuts you find yourself using in your workflow?
(2) is there a way to find a particular script (but not every instances of the script's name)?
-> am thinking anything similar to Ctrl/Cmd + P in VSCode or Sublime Text here.
(3) have you found anything specifically helps to manage your windows outside of docking?
(4) is it possible to dock top/bottom as well as left/right in corners?
(5) can I maximize content when I've dragged stuff to a new pane?

So far I have personally found super helpful:

(1) Keyboard shortcut: Control + Tab (Workspace Overview)
(2) Keyboard shortcut: Control + Shift + F (Find All instances)
(3) Expand / Collapse active docks: F12

If you know of anything else, I would love to know. I know that there is documentation but I figure that you don't know what you don't know, and I might glaze over any important or useful tips here from much more experienced users of GM Studio 2.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Also thanks to Game Maker team for making such an approachable piece of software -- and sorry if this post at all seems otherwise -- am just really trying to optimize my workflow here and still think it's a great product so far.

Edit: skipped a number 😅

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You might find this article interesting: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/538/gms2-features-you-might-not-know-about

And the new manual has some additional tips on navigating the IDE too: https://manual.yoyogames.com/#t=IDE_Navigation/IDE_Input.htm

(1) what are some of the most common keyboard shortcuts you find yourself using in your workflow?
Ctrl + T and CTRL + Tab

(2) is there a way to find a particular script (but not every instances of the script's name)?
-> am thinking anything similar to Ctrl/Cmd + P in VSCode or Sublime Text here.
Not sure what you mean as I don't use either of those products... In the Asset Browser (2.3.+) you can use the filter to find specific things: https://manual.yoyogames.com/#t=Introduction/The_Asset_Browser.htm

(4) have you found anything specifically helps to manage your windows outside of docking?
Not really! Never docked ANY window except the default ones. I actually prefer the more freeform workspace approach...

(5) is it possible to dock top/bottom as well as left/right in corners?
Bottom yes, top no...

(6) can I maximize content when I've dragged stuff to a new pane?
You can only maximise script and code windows (and you also have a preference "Open Object Events in fullscreen window" so that GMS2 will do this automatically: https://manual.yoyogames.com/#t=Set...rm="open object events in full screen editor")

R

rob2d

@Nocturne Thanks for the tips!

For (2), I just meant to quickly search for a file and visit it only via keyboard command. Edit: and it seems like Control + T is *perfect*. Thank you (!) 🙏🙏

Another issue I'm finding now that I've had another week with things is not being able to zoom on the specific file editors is kind of hard to get used to... but, this is about 500% better.

The last preference there that you listed is especially helpful btw!

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

@Nocturne Thanks for the tips!

For (2), I just meant to quickly search for a file and visit it only via keyboard command. Edit: and it seems like Control + T is *perfect*. Thank you (!) 🙏🙏

Another issue I'm finding now that I've had another week with things is not being able to zoom on the specific file editors is kind of hard to get used to... but, this is about 500% better.

The last preference there that you listed is especially helpful btw!
CTRL+T lets you type a resource name and navigate to it (open it) using just the keyboard.

For zooming on windows if you've zoomed out then you can use CTRL-TAB to select it or double click the window with the mouse and it will become focused and will auto-zoom back in to the default zoom size.

edit: Ah you tried CTRL+T as I posted.