• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE More... "specific" texture swap debugging?

Khao

I recently made a few optimizations to my game's graphics and along the way, reordered some of my texture pages and updated some old sprites that were placed in the wrong groups. After running the game, I noticed my swaps were at something like 40+ which was way higher than when I started. Spent a pretty decent amount of time changing sprite locations, creating and deleting texture groups, moving sprites around, even moving room layers a bit trying to find the problem.

Eventually managed to get my swaps down which is great. But I'm still noticing some unexpected oddities. For example, in some stages I get more swaps, in others I get less. Which is weird because they all have just one texture and it's pretty much only background elements. Depending on the character I choose and which player chooses it I might get an extra swap or two. Sometimes I get less swaps in certain scenarios when when I'd normally expect more. This is all really confusing and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to even start after already spending so long testing things almost randomly. I know I can do better, but I just don't know what to change anymore.

So my question is, is there a way to actually take a proper look at my texture swaps beyond just knowing how many are happening?

Like, can I somehow get a list of all the swaps my game does on one step? Which textures get used? How many times? In what order? Is any texture being needlessly swapped more than once? As it is the process feels very much like trial and error and being able to see more information would really help. I can see all my textures on the debugger but I don't even know which ones are currently on VRAM, it's just not very helpful.

Last edited:
So my question is, is there a way to actually take a proper look at my texture swaps beyond just knowing how many are happening?

Like, can I somehow get a list of all the swaps my game does on one step? Which textures get used? How many times? In what order?
try to toggle this:
Code:
texture_debug_messages(true);
In your case, your debugger output will probably be flooded, but you'll have much more info than with the default debug settings.