• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

More Scrollbars, Auto-Window Fitting To Visible Workspace

quattj

Both computers I normally use (a laptop and a desktop hooked to a TV) have a desktop resolution of 1366x768.

Most items when clicked and opened in the workspace do not fit in the visible workspace area. I enabled "laptop mode" which gives me the option to scroll around by holding "ALT", but I find this very awkward and would much prefer to have a scrollbar for the workspace window, and to have the opened item automatically fit in the visible area.

Currently, (with the bottom GUI section open to it's default height [output, search results, source control, etc]) I have to open an item (Game options for instance), hold ALT, slide the bottom of the window in to view, let go of ALT, left click the bottom right corner and drag it upwards, let go of left mouse button, hold ALT, and scroll the resized window back in to view to be able to see the buttons at the bottom of the options window. [I have just realized that windows may be resized from any side of the window frame, which makes this much easier, but I still feel it should auto-fit if it is too large for the visible area. Almost every item opened in the workspace ends up too tall by default and must be manually resized.]

If I open multiple items, and they are stacked vertically, and then I close the ones visible on screen, there is no visual indication of the presence or location of any other items that might remain in the workspace without having to zoom way out or scroll willy nilly until I find it. For example, as I was testing this out, I opened several pieces of code, a room, the Options Main, Options Windows, and Options HTML5 windows in that order. After closing the Options HTML5 window, I am left with a "blank" workspace with no visual cue that the rest of the workspace is occupied. (Presence of a scrollbar would indicate that there are other items to be scrolled over to. I did see another thread with an indication there may be a workspace "map" in the works, which would also be a beneficial addition).

Using ALT scrolling with a trackpad also requires continually scrolling a small distance, lifting your finger up, scrolling another small distance, lifting your finger up, repeat; whereas a scrollbar can be clicked and dragged the entire distance needed in one simple motion.