• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

More control over the saving system?

StakFallT

Quick question, is there any way to have a little more control over when GMS2 (more specifically 2.3 -- though I've seen this behavior in <2.3 as well) saves? As I'm still VERY heavily in the process of refining the design of my game (mechanic-wise, and astetic-wise) I have TONS of assets (that I know won't make the cut because they'll be replaced). Some of these assets are some pretty MASSIVE sprite animations (animations with 256 frames), etc. And every little thing I do it wants to autosave. It seems to be tied to whether a change (in anyway shape or form) was made.

The backstory is I'm using Realusion's iClone 7 to do character animations and modeling, etc. I then export the frames as a sequence of images. I take those images and load them into a new project in Pro Motion NG and touch them up where I need to (ESPECIALLY since GMS no longer contains many of the same image / frame editing effects that it used to and I know once it's in GMS I'll actually have limited effectual tools). When these images get imported into GMS2 (2.3 but even <2.3 had this issue), they are imported as 1920x1080 res. So that's 1920x1080 with 256 frames of animation. That's pretty enormous. I'm ok with it because I know that I will use the color removal tool, and rip out the "virtual" green screen I have behind the character (that Pro Motion NG puts behind the character when exporting as GIF or even as PNG), and then utilize the Auto Trim all frames, this will then bring it way down in size. However, each step GMS wants to save, and the save takes FOREVER -- understandably so, but it'd be awesome to have a little more finer control over when it saves. Almost like how Microsoft Office handles its saving (e.x. Autosave every user-specified minutes, but also allow manual saving too). Right now it seems to be tied to whether a change was done. I can appreciate the concern YYG has for us makers using their engine to not loose work, but right now it's a bit overkill especially when you're working with some pretty large projects).