• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Moor - outdated thread

Fredrik

@FROGANUS
Well, perhaps I should create some kind of tutorial in the start of the game :D yeah, the screen between each floor will be changed abit, not only being a image with "x floor", but rather something that fades out. When you get to the boss pair (atm named knight and mage) you're at the fourth floor. There is three floors before meeting first boss fight, which is the knight and mage :) after that there's (so far planned) going to be three new floors before a new boss fight, but I'm thinking about adding a new floor for each new area of the game. So before the first boss there's three floors, before the second boss there's four floors, before the third boss there's five floors and so on :)

Haha yeah the bosses are ment to be abit hard. I was thinking that the first boss could be abit hard so you'd get a indicate of how hard the game possibly could become, and that it would be better to learn that early on at the first boss fight, rather than the later in a end-game bossfight etc. But as the bossfight goes the knight is supposed to go after you, doing slow attacks but hitting really hard, while the make is supposed to support him on the "sideline" throwing magic. The mage is weaker than the knight though, so taking out the game should be easier than the knight, but then again the mage might throw magic at you close up and deal greatly damage at you if you're unlucky. There are some neat tricks to kill the bosses easly, but I dont want to spoil that ;D

Yeah it might be abit repetitive and maze-like, but that's the point though, being a generated maze-like dungeon. However if the dungeon is boring to go through I gotta add more to it. I'm planning to add doors spawned around which you'll have to open as well, so there's some stuff to interact with. I was also planning to add so you have to get a key on each floor to open the door leading to the next floor.

I've never encountered the bug with the item slots being below the screen like that :/ dunno what can cause it.

Yeah, I'll add that. Thanks for noticing! same with stats while you hover the cursor over the armor and ring slots :)

The doorway making you able to see out to the skybox. I know about it, but I found it after publishing the demo.

Thanks for the feedback! It's nice that you wanna use time to find these bugs. I really appreciate it ^^

Fredrik

@orange451
Yeah I should probably make a tutorial of some sort for that, It isn't really obvious how to consume, is it? :p I could add that if consumables are held you'll see something like "hold LMB to consume or something. Weapon slots in your inventory is a good idea! why didn't I think of that :C I'll add it! Ill still keep the slots in the corner as well so you'll still be able to switch that way as well :)

Being able to switch the items in the inventory would be really nice, but in the way I've created the inventory it would take alot of work to make it, unless I could think of a neat way to create it. I'll have to look into it alteast. I'll also look into the camera axis. However I can't say I've noticed anything special with it, except that the movement of your sword and shield doesn't alight right with your camera movement, but it's ment to be like the way it is.

appreciate the feedback!

S

Spike

Just tried it out. Nice job. I have yet to try and make anything 3D in game maker. Any plans for spells? Maybe a game over or retry screen instead of end_game? Keep up the hard work!

Fredrik

@Spike
Thanks! :D So far there's two Scepters in the game, one that has a rare drop from the Mage, which is one out of two enemies in the first boss fight, and then a water scepter, which is in the game, but not available for drop yet. I have been thinking about making classes in the game, deciding what items you'd start with for the most part. With this I was thinking that as a mage you could start with a random scroll, and to use magic you'd have to use a scroll (or magic book) in your left hand instead of a shield, and then a scepter, stave or wand in your right hand to cast magic based on what scoll / book you have equipted. I was thinking about doing this with staves really, and that scepters, like the water one and the one dropped from the mage (flame) to be rare magic projectile items that wont need a scroll. So the fire scepter can only cast flames, but does not require a scroll, while a stave would require a scroll, but can cast any kind of magic based on what scroll you have ^^ This would also take magic from your "spell cast" "ammo", as you already have below your stamina bar. There is also already minor and greater magic potion in the game, so most of the magic stuff is already in the game, just not the staves and the scrolls. That's the plans I have for magic ^^

Yes you're supposed to have a game over screen when you die, and not just game_end;. But as it is atm the game just wipes your saved file, then quits.

Thanks! I will :)

F

FROGANUS

just to report- i did go back and ice that punkass mage..

that same doorway I mentioned before with the double tables- it generated without any room attached, so I had to jump out into the void and land way on the other side of the level (2 times!)

another glitch- i discarded a broad sword and it left that merged double slot in the inventory (should have switched back to 2 square spaces)..

S

Spike

@Spike
Thanks! :D So far there's two Scepters in the game, one that has a rare drop from the Mage, which is one out of two enemies in the first boss fight, and then a water scepter, which is in the game, but not available for drop yet. I have been thinking about making classes in the game, deciding what items you'd start with for the most part. With this I was thinking that as a mage you could start with a random scroll, and to use magic you'd have to use a scroll (or magic book) in your left hand instead of a shield, and then a scepter, stave or wand in your right hand to cast magic based on what scoll / book you have equipted. I was thinking about doing this with staves really, and that scepters, like the water one and the one dropped from the mage (flame) to be rare magic projectile items that wont need a scroll. So the fire scepter can only cast flames, but does not require a scroll, while a stave would require a scroll, but can cast any kind of magic based on what scroll you have ^^ This would also take magic from your "spell cast" "ammo", as you already have below your stamina bar. There is also already minor and greater magic potion in the game, so most of the magic stuff is already in the game, just not the staves and the scrolls. That's the plans I have for magic ^^

Yes you're supposed to have a game over screen when you die, and not just game_end;. But as it is atm the game just wipes your saved file, then quits.

Thanks! I will :)
Oh ok! In regards to the game ending and save file wipe, I like that mechanic, just didn't know it was supposed to do that. There was a game for the original xbox called steel battalion that had that mechanic. If you didn't eject from your mech in time, it would erase your save file. Interesting! Especially in most of today's games where I feel the creators are much too lenient with save point everywhere! Ever play the original resident evil on PSX or saturn? Always made you think twice before you saved. I think thats why I found dark souls so refreshing because the punishment was so harsh if you died. Well I can't wait for the updates. Keep up the hard work!

Fredrik

@FROGANUS
While playing you can press F1 to open a debug window which displays abit info that could be handy for me to find out where the bug come from. It's probably just one of the rooms during generation that has been missplaced, it's a quick fix.
Yeah I know about that inventory glitch as well, I've been it a few times myself, but not often, I'll have to look into that as well. It shouldn't be hard to fix (hopefully)

Thanks for finding more bugs :D

Fredrik

@Spike
Some parts of the game is inspirted by Dark Souls though :D I've been aiming for a dark atmosphere with though gameplay, but also you know, rogule-like gameplay.