Demo Moonlight in Garland - Chill city life sim - Demo

violet

Moonlight in Garland

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 5.11.11 pm copy.jpg

Downloads:
Free demo is available on itch.io for Windows and Mac.

About:

Moonlight in Garland is a cozy, open-ended, life-sim that sees you making a new start in the bustling metropolis of Garland.

Find an apartment and make it perfectly yours, befriend your neighbours, grow your garden, solve community problems and experience all the weirdly wonderful stuff that city living offers.
Of course, city life isn’t all farmers markets and fancy coffee. Will you step in to stop the heritage building from being torn down and preserve a piece of history? Build a sense of community so more residents will stick around? Figure out which jerk is stealing packages from the mail room? Be swept up in a whirlwind romance along the way?

Find your feet, make a positive impact and live your best life in Garland!

Demo features:
  • Move in! - Each apartment has unique challenges and community projects. (1/4 buildings available)
  • Explore the city - Complete 6 mini welcome quests over 5 suburbs.
  • Daily tasks - Run errands, recycle trash and clean up graffiti.
  • Find friends or romance - 22 NPCs with 2 full friendship levels of dialogue.
  • Friendship events - Deepen your relationships with narrative cutscenes and mini quests. (1 per NPC currently available)
  • Building Upgrades - 1 x Cedar Court Lobby upgrade currently available.
  • Gardening - Get your green thumb ready!
  • Animal Photos - Take photos of local wildlife for your diary, that seagull is just walking around like he owns the place.
  • Manage your time and energy - Keep an eye on your physical and mental energy to make sure you can hit your goals.
  • Character customization - Be yourself or someone else!
  • Part time job - take on 3 mini game cases at the Private Detective Agency
  • City Festivals - Join the community in celebrating special events (1 Spring Festival included)
  • Also - Shop, clean up the city, recycle and lots more.
Coming in future versions... More part time jobs, mini games, marriage, crafting, decorating, events, bigger mysteries, more apartment/garden upgrades and a whole lot more!

Development:
So, this is my first game project and it's been a massive but awesome intro to coding. I started work in 2020 with an early attempt in Unity before switching to GMS and learning GML from Friendly Cosmonaut's Farming RPG tutorials. Between experimenting, reading old forum posts and the manual, I was able to get a lot of the main systems running quite quickly but as I also custom made all the assets it's taken a lot of time for me to get to a point where I feel comfortable showing it anywhere.

So far my biggest challenges have been around scaling, making comfortable controls (keyboard only atm), laying out the menu systems and then making sure the systems can expand as the game grows with more content. Because I'm learning as I go, there have definitely been times that I've had to go back and totally rework things because of early misunderstandings on how a code worked or because I wasn't clear on what I wanted to do when I started.

For me, this is definitely a long term passion project so I'm aiming to get as much feedback while it's in the early stages so I can polish it and fill in the city more!

Anyway, I'd love any suggestions on how I could improve things, I'm obviously still very much a beginner so hoping to learn and expand my skills :D

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 5.06.34 pm copy.jpgScreen Shot 2021-07-22 at 9.54.56 am copy.jpgScreen Shot 2021-07-22 at 10.32.10 am copy.jpgScreen Shot 2021-07-21 at 5.12.06 pm copy.jpg

violet

hey good job, that actually look fun! i like the ''harvest moon'' style, keep up the good work!
Aah thank you so much! I am a massive fan of the original Harvest Moon/Story of Season games so I'm super happy that the vibe carries across! I hope you have fun with it :D