• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Alpha MOMOgatari - RPG / Shooter Hybrid

This is my game, MOMOgatari. It is a shooter/rpg hybrid. The game contains town areas where the player can walk around, talk to NPCs, buy items, upgrade equipment, and perform quests and it also contains many more shooter/shmup stages. Most shooting stages scroll sideways but some allow for omnidirectional movement that act as dungeon areas where rooms must be navigated and keys must be found.

Most Recent News:

The project was more or less restarted about a month ago as of late August. The graphics, systems, and code are better, much cleaner and easier to maintain.

Most Recent Video:

Story:

Momo is an alien girl whose planet was destroyed by the Ikari Empire one year ago. She vows revenge on them and has joined the war against the Ikari Empire after proving her superior abilities. Most of the story is yet to be written other than the current character interactions.

Gameplay:

During shooting stages, Momo destroys enemies to get credits, which can be used in the town areas to buy upgrades and items. Momo also has power ups and super weapons as well. Each shooting stage ends in a unique boss. Abilities are unlocked from quests but they do not function in a Metroidvania style way. In town areas, Momo can talk to NPCs who will give her quests. Items bought in towns can be carried into battle. There is a very heavy emphasis on making the shooting and RPG stages intertwined so that neither feels unnecessary.

Current Stages:

Scrolling Shooter Stages:

Ares Ruins: Mars-like planet

Boss: Eyedra (Multi-ocular mutant that shoots beams out of its eyes and phlegm out of its mouth)
Secret Boss: ????

Lunar Mare: Moon-like moon

Boss: Chrome Kujira (Mechanical space-whale with a cannon on its head and smaller guns on its back and stomach)

Comet Nefud: Comet racing towards nearby planet

Boss: Gagarin (Starfish-alien that was riding the comet to crash into Nico. Has a destroyable shield)

Nico: Green planet with a raging volcano. The volcano gets worse as the level progresses and starts dropping rocks.

Boss: Fumarole (Shoots fireballs out of its mouth, lobs smaller ones out of the holes in its head, and shoots out steam if you fly above him.)
(More to come)

Omni-Directional Shooter Stages:

Crashed Ship: Underneath the village on Nico
Boss: Not yet designed
(More to come)

Town Areas:

ISS Sova: The ship Momo serves on that acts as a hub world as it contains terminals for the galaxy map.

Village on Nico (name pending): A village founded on a crashed alien space-ship that worships the ship's still functioning computer-brain.

(More to come)

Power-Ups:

Powerups can be carried into battle and can also be dropped by certain enemies.

Power - two beams allow for a wider attack
Spread - shoot in three directions
Bomb - Can only shoot down but powerful
Chainsaw - Makes you invincible when firing but it drains ammo and its short-range
Shield - Free hit
(More to come)

Super Weapons:

Only one can be carried into battle at a time and must be bought from a shop
Cross-Bomb - Shoots a large X-shaped explosion
(More to come)

Unlockable Abilities:

Sprint: Hold run button to move twice as fast during shooter stages
Capture Ball: Capture some enemies to have them fight with you
Double Special: Carry two power ups into battle
Laser: Consume all special ammo to fire a giant laser
Scanner: Scans enemies to add them to the database kiosk.
Mysterious Maru: A character will randomly appear to drop a power up for you

(More to come?)

Upgradeable Stats:

Special Ammo: Increases how much special ammo you can bring with you
Fire Rate: Increases basic fire rate
Max Momos: Increases number of lives

(More to come)

Personality Stats:

Momo can gain personality points through certain actions that can affect interactions with other characters.

Character Portraits:

Influences:

I love making references to various other things that I love and are important to me. Some references are obvious and some are much less obvious. Characters, gameplay, and visuals are all a mashup of my favorite things from my life. If something looks familiar, it’s very much on purpose and I want to make a list of everything when you beat the game. The gameplay has been influenced most by my two favorite shmups G-Darius and Einhander. The RPG aspects have been influenced by The Legend of Zelda, though only the general feel of the places you visit and not gameplay.

Future Plans:

-Expand the Galaxy map to include more stages/bosses/towns/etc
-Better develop the overarching story
-Once the “goblin town” on Nico is finished, release a new demo

[edit]

I redid this topic to contain everything in one post. Ignore anything older than this.

Last edited:

Small or big update, I'm not sure (a lot of stuff is under the hood) but some mechanics have been changed such as how the weapons worked. I asked myself "Is this fun?" and "Does this make sense?" and then I made some changes. I think it's important to do that so you don't get tunnel vision about concepts that don't feel good. The music still needs updating.

Cutscenes and boss rooms have been added more fully. The boss takes visible damage now but I think it's too easy to avoid him. Then again, I've fought him 100 times and am pretty good at fighting him now. There are a few bugs left to fix before I put out a demo. Please take a look.

ar1.png ar4.png ar6.pngar5.png ar2.png

Here is another level (not necessarily the second level) called Ares Ruins. It's based on Mars. I started it as an O'Neil Cylinder but trying to do that many levels of parallax scrolling to make a cylinder is nightmarish. This boss isn't finished and I'm not sure how it will work yet. Its name is "Eyedra". Does the stack of eyes fall when one dies or does it just get a black eye? When you kill one section, the speed increases kind of like Spore Spawn from Super Metroid. If anyone wants to give me suggestions, go ahead (for anything).

I'm very proud of this and I hope everyone likes it.

Last edited:

FelipeSan

Wow! I am a huge Master System fan, your game is beautiful and capture nicelly the style that the games of this console have. The last screenshot with orange background is amazing!
Congratulations, i really want to play this :)

Wow! I am a huge Master System fan, your game is beautiful and capture nicelly the style that the games of this console have. The last screenshot with orange background is amazing!
Congratulations, i really want to play this :)
Thank you for the compliment. This means a lot.

Here is a short preview of level 2 (the Mars-looking one). Need some new music and need to fix some sound effects and make it longer.

scorpafied

Maybe just me but the laser and bombs u drop. Being able to shoot that much feels really op. I feel like the enemies dont that much of a chance lol.

Boss in the video u shared looks good. And u have made it obvious when the lazers are going to be shot whoch is good. Maybe he could have an attack where he flies towards tge player so u have to position yourself to avoid the attack. The other attack he has where he flies in a circle just makes it to easy i feel like. Maybe just me?

Great work though. Btw u mentioned u wanted better sound effects. I didnt really notice anythibg really bad about that until the boss died. Might want something new for that.

Maybe just me but the laser and bombs u drop. Being able to shoot that much feels really op. I feel like the enemies dont that much of a chance lol.

Boss in the video u shared looks good. And u have made it obvious when the lazers are going to be shot whoch is good. Maybe he could have an attack where he flies towards tge player so u have to position yourself to avoid the attack. The other attack he has where he flies in a circle just makes it to easy i feel like. Maybe just me?

Great work though. Btw u mentioned u wanted better sound effects. I didnt really notice anythibg really bad about that until the boss died. Might want something new for that.
#1 I need to increase the HP of the enemies to take more hits. The bombs drop too fast, yeah. I need to figure out a way to drop slower when you hold down fire but not remove your ability to drop whenever you want too...
#2 I would do a ram attack but Eyedra is so tall that I think it would be hard to avoid. Eyedra actually has multiple patterns but it might not be too obvious in the video. The solution is probably increasing the HP of each section. Right now each section only has 10 HP so I'll probably double it.
#3 Thank you very much. I need to fix the explosion sounds at the end. It's supposed to be random but when an explosion is created, it only plays if one isn't already playing leading to one playing after another is finished. I'll have to fix that.

New RPG mode for Momogatari between levels. It's super early and less than a week old. I want to have you buy one off powerups you can choose when to use during the levels and I want you to talk to some interesting characters as well. You'll also choose where you want to go next. By the way, your commander is named Admiral Daikon now. The squid guys speak in KJV English normally but get angry New York accents when they're angry.

1.png 2.png 3.png

Here are some updated screenshots from the RPG section between missions, inside the spaceship. The armory is where you can buy consumables to be used during missions.

I like all of the color. Seems like there is a lot more? And it looks like the RPG part is coming together well.
It needs to look like a spaceship (I'm thinking like the inside of the Millennium Falcon or the Nostromo) but also needs color but is also limited by the NES palette I've mostly confined myself too. I've got an NES palette but I'm going with a Sega Master System level of detail.

I finally have a demo available at my game development website, MOPTEC.

Some feedback has trickled in:
To enter the flying stages, you need to talk to the green holographic navigation maps. Also, locked doors are locked because there's no content behind them at the moment. Money at the Armory is the points you get from combat. I'm sorry if these issues were confusing. This is a very early demo.

Copied from my site:

(The download button is on the top right of Google Drive if you can't find it) This demo contains two flying stages and an RPG area. It is stable and hasn't crashed for me or and of my QA so far, but please contact me at mopspear ♦ gmail.com. The "White Shirts" NPCs have random dialogue and are stand-ins for unique characters that haven't been designed yet. Each one says something random every time a the ship is entered.

The reason why Momo starts the RPG area in an elevator is because she's supposed to be taking it down to this floor from a runway built for her on the floor above. The floor below will be a hangar for fighter space craft. Make sure you talk to everyone even after you get the message that the demo is over. You can still get some new dialogue from the unique characters.
If you check the demo page, you will notice that it is not empty anymore and that I have in fact released a demo to the public after promising it for maybe a year now. I'm very happy with it and my QA people seem to like it a lot. There are a number of additions and fixes that have been made since I took a long break from development on Momogatari.

A few bugs have been fixed but there weren't that many in the first place luckily. A new controls screen and intro screen have been added. Various unnamed NPCs have been added who are referred to as "White Shirts". Some of them will be replaced with unique characters but I kind of like having these guys in the ship now as random NPCs. Each one has random dialogue that they say each time the level is loaded so make sure that you talk to them often.

The flying sections have remained mostly unchanged but they were basically complete how I left them. I will likely rework each into two or three stages like I mentioned earlier but they are good enough for now. I know they contain two small enemy issues and one sound issue but I'll have to fix that later. A new video is going to go up on my various media channels on the right side so make sure to give them a look.

Last edited:
momo14.pngmomo15.pngmomo16.png

Got some new updates. Momo flies into the level like she used to but now the ship makes more logical sense in terms of how a ship should be shaped. There are also some ball turrets I've added. There's also a science lab making only the commander's room to finish on the main floor. Finally, the elevators are animated and allow you to travel to the other previously inaccessible floors though there isn't much there to see yet.

This and other updates at my website: MOPTEC Game Development

nefud-fight.png
New boss fight against a starfish alien. There' a video on my Instagram but I don't know how to put videos here so you can watch it there. mopspear Instagram

There's a rainbow shield because old PC games used to do that and I always liked it. Normally I guess you would use a shader but I don't know how to do that so I just animated it by hand.