• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Modifying files in "Included Files" at runtime

Is there a way to modify files in the "Included Files" section at runtime? I'd like to be able to read/write an .ini file at runtime, and while I can read these files with no problem, writing them always causes a new file to be created in AppData\Local which isn't what I want.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
It is not possible to modify files in the game executable's directory due to sandboxing, if that's what you're asking about. Your game does not have write permissions for this directory (unless the user grants them to the game through get_*_filename). The included files are read-only. Any time you attempt to modify an included file, it will be directed to the local storage (appdata). You can use the included file as a "template" for this, so as to keep the included file as a base version of the file while having the modified one in the local storage.