• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Modifying Extension File

CloseRange

I just learned how to create an extension in gm2.
I created a quick script to combine all my scripts into 1 file with the #define scriptName above each script.

I was able to create an extension, import that file, and went through adding all the arguments to each script.
However what if I need to add more scripts to the file or change what the individual scripts do?
I don't mine changing the file but if I edit the file how am I supposed to import the file again without having to redfine every single script 1 at a time and setting all their arguments.

With how it is now, if I change any part of the extension all the progress gets reset.

EDIT also even if I try to reimport the .gml file with all the scripts it will say file exists, do you want to replace it. I hit yes and it just comes up with the whole bug report would you like to report the bug but GML closes before I can even read it all or do anything.

rIKmAN

You should be able to right click the extension and "Open in Explorer" to find the actual gml file in the project folder.
Edit that and add any new functions and then update just the extra functions inside the IDE Extension Editor and the old ones will remain.

CloseRange

Thank you! was having troubles figuring this out got scared I had wasted a bunch of time setting the arguments for over 40 scripts :confused: did not want to do that again.

rIKmAN

Thank you! was having troubles figuring this out got scared I had wasted a bunch of time setting the arguments for over 40 scripts :confused: did not want to do that again.
Yeah I had the same issue using a DLL and having to add the functions each time until I realised I could just recompile it in Visual Studio and overwrite the .dll in the projects "extensions" folder so that all the functions I'd defined inside the GMS2 extension editor stayed intact.

Works the same for a .gml extension, just edit the actual file and modify/add any changes into the extensions editor.