• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mockup: Alternative Layout for Editing Objects / Events

TheMagician

Coming from the Infinite Workspaces thread I thought about the following alternative (not replacement) to the current way of opening all the objects in the workspace.

The advantage is that people working with fullscreen code tabs still have an overview over the object's settings and events in the sidebar and don't always have to jump back and forth between workspace and code tabs.

N

NPT

Terrible.

Only the properties of one object can be open. the tediousness required to have multiple objects and then switch events.

Not interested.

Cpaz

Give me the option to have the properties to open in their own tab by default and count me in! This seems like a nice alternative.

N

NPT

And on a small screen, one object can't even be fully seen with the current workspace system.
Having this as on option would be great
Gee, if only GMS2 had the ability to resize resources within the workspace. Oh Yeah, it does.

YYGs developing, maintaining and supporting two completely different sets of resource workflow is asinine.

TheMagician

@Mick - don't mention Visual Studio if you want to support this alternative option ;) (see the most recent posts in the Infinite Workspace thread)

Llama_Code

TBH, I am using Photoshop right now that does this same thing, and I get sick of having to resize panels to see everything, so I don't see how this is any more of a solution than the current work space.

Give me the option to have the properties to open in their own tab by default and count me in! This seems like a nice alternative.
I wouldn't really use this, but could see where some might. Maybe an option in the right click menu to open in a new tab like browsers would be a simple solution.

Hopefully at the end of the day, the plugin system will just allow us to build our own idea of a great layout. Because you can't always please everyone with everything, and make 5 different optional layouts is asinine. But if the community could build and support additional layouts, that would be a better solution.

Last edited:
R

Reaxgrim

i like the current way. but i have three monitors and works nicely with that kind of setup so i cant speak of the struggles of the people with One monitor.

Mick

@Mick - don't mention Visual Studio if you want to support this alternative option ;) (see the most recent posts in the Infinite Workspace thread)
Haha, I thought about that afterwards, sorry about that. :) I don't want to see a remake of Visual Studio but this seems like a good option, most of the time I'm jumping between code windows anyway and with this system there is quick access to the properties and events of objects when needed.

Llama_Code

i like the current way. but i have three monitors and works nicely with that kind of setup so i cant speak of the struggles of the people with One monitor.
Well my primary setup is 2x 20 inch monitors at 1600x900 and I have no issues with that, I also work on my surface a lot with a 12.3 inch screen at 1920x1080, and it works nicely there to. I think it just comes down to preferences in workflow, of which I don't have a lot of. I just learn to use the program and roll with it, and in fact GMS2 is one of only 2 programs a have custom layouts for, the other being Photoshop because I have a custom work space for pixel art.

Everything else I just use as is out of the box except for small preference changes or whatever.

TheMagician

I am using Photoshop right now that does this same thing, and I get sick of having to resize panels to see everything
When I created the mockup I simply moved the object's settings windows from the workspace over to the sidebar. It fit perfectly. Yes, you may have to do some scrolling if you expand the Parent or Physics settings but I'd say that you spend 99% of your time working with the Events.

i have three monitors
You lucky bastard ;) I guess this is more for the one-monitor setup or even for laptop users.

most of the time I'm jumping between code windows anyway and with this system there is quick access to the properties and events of objects when needed.
+1 That's all I'm suggesting. I think Mike thought that I want every resource to open in the sidebar but that's not what I had in mind.

R

Reefpirate

Just wanted to say I'm loving the new Workspaces and I'm glad to hear Mike defending them so vehemently.

I'm always in favour of more options and perhaps some of this critique can end up in the Preferences menu which would be great. However, I'm already having a hard time imagining going back to working in GMS 1.4 So many times hitting Cascade, or Close All Windows just to know what the hell I'm working on...

GMWolf

aka fel666
Just wanted to say I'm loving the new Workspaces and I'm glad to hear Mike defending them so vehemently.

I'm always in favour of more options and perhaps some of this critique can end up in the Preferences menu which would be great. However, I'm already having a hard time imagining going back to working in GMS 1.4 So many times hitting Cascade, or Close All Windows just to know what the hell I'm working on...
No one is asking for 1.4 style windows. We are asking for a full screen object editor. Look at the op. Its clearly different.

C

Chinafreak

Or how about instead putting Event as GUI, just add event in Code like from Parakeet.

That means such like:

Code:
perform create{
    //Create Event
}

perform step{
    //Step Event
}

perform draw{
    //Draw Event
}
It would be much easier and less stress/annoying to develop games. (And even better for smaller monitors ;) )

(maybe add as third option from choosing project coding type "Drag & Drop" and "GML". How about "GML extended" or "GML (No Event GUI)")

Last edited by a moderator:

GMWolf

aka fel666
Or how about instead putting Event as GUI, just add event in Code such like from Parakeet.

That means such like:

Code:
perform create{
    //Create Event
}

perform step{
    //Step Event
}

perform draw{
    //Draw Event
}
It would be much easier and less stress/annoying to develop games. (And even better for smaller monitors ;) )

(maybe add as third option from choosing project coding type "Drag & Drop" and "GML". How about "GML extended" oder "GML (No Event GUI)")
I think I suggested that in the other thread.
Yes. I would absolutely love to see this be a thing! Please YYG. You can keep the current system. But also include this. Its far, far cleaner!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Gee, if only GMS2 had the ability to resize resources within the workspace. Oh Yeah, it does.

YYGs developing, maintaining and supporting two completely different sets of resource workflow is asinine.
Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch.

I'm in full support of this.

trg601

As a laptop user, who has to use the separate tabs for code editors anyway, I think this could very useful.
Speaking of code editor tabs it would also be nice to have separate tabs for each object, instead of throwing all the code in one pile.

csanyk

Coming from the Infinite Workspaces thread I thought about the following alternative (not replacement) to the current way of opening all the objects in the workspace.

The advantage is that people working with fullscreen code tabs still have an overview over the object's settings and events in the sidebar and don't always have to jump back and forth between workspace and code tabs.
YES THIS IS WHAT I WANT. PLEASE.