• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Mobile Scaling

B

BloodCorn

Hey there,
I (like many I am sure) have recently downloaded the mobile GMS 2 export and I was wondering what the best way to scale for all the new aspect ratios (tall displays such as 18:9) and old ones such as 16:9 and all the iPhone resolutions. Does anybody here have any experience with this, if so - help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
BloodCorn

B

BloodCorn

Hi there @Bingdom ,
Sorry for the belated response, thank you for your help - one more question, what would you recommend the starting resolution should be for many aspect ratios?

Thanks,
BloodCorn

Bingdom

Googledom
I would recommend aiming for a resolution that scales well (integer scaling) with popular devices. Don't try to aim to get the exact resolution, unless your game isn't pixel art.

There's really no direct answer to this. If you're developing for IOS, you can change your camera size a bit to get those extra odd pixels (you should be doing this already if aspect ratio doesn't match).

Here's a website that shows the latest phone's resolution.

B

BloodCorn

Ok, thanks -
The problem is that I use non-pixel art which skews very badly and all phones (I am developing for iOS and Android) have very diverse resolutions, would you mind telling me what your base resolution and scaling methods are for your games? It would help a lot!

Thanks,
BloodCorn

E

Edi

If you find a solution for this made for studio 2, I'm also interested! If your app is published already, send me a link and I'll leave a review :)