• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Mobile export worth it?

S

Sah

I'm sure this gets asked loads but is it worth the money to get the mobile export? Specifically android.

I have recently been playing around with making games on my android tablet and using other engines and languages to do that. At first I remember really wishing I could get the mobile export for gms2 because I have already completed a couple of games with it. Now that the price has dropped I am seriously considering it. It's still expensive considering all the free options but I do like gms2.

I had just started getting stuck in with another popular engine that works well with android when I got the email about the price drop. Now I'm thinking it's worth the money to save time on learning the other engine and staying with this. I think it may be, as long as the android export works well.

How is gamemaker for android?

C

CombatCalamity

It really depends. There is currently a problem with some play services that hasn't been solved in the time I write this.

You really need to look around to see if the problems or the limitations it has, like lacking a proper 3rd party extension support, don't bother you, and to ask yourself what are you gonna do with it? If you just wanna create an Android game and you're already comfortable with GMS2 I say go for it. If you wanna publish your games with the play services, monetize it via in-app-purchases or ads, create multiplayer games, etc. then probably think twice and look around first.

Chances are you won't care about the latter if you're just starting out to even think about Android games, so what the heck, go for it... I guess?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You also have to look into why you're getting stuck in the other engine. If it's because you don't understand its architecture or are missing basic skills, your solution should be to learn those first. Otherwise you could end up switching back to GMS and still having the same problem.

rIKmAN

You also have to look into why you're getting stuck in the other engine. If it's because you don't understand its architecture or are missing basic skills, your solution should be to learn those first. Otherwise you could end up switching back to GMS and still having the same problem.
He said "getting stuck in with", rather than "getting stuck with".

It may be a UK saying (not sure?), but it means he's "burying his head in" or "immersing himself in" the new engine rather than "getting stuck" when using it.
The advice is good if he was getting stuck though.

Last edited: