MMOs in GameMaker?

M

Minipong

Ok, there's no doubt that GameMaker is one of the more popular game engines, especially for indie creators. I've seen a few MMOs and MMORPGs that have been made in GameMaker, but mostly just for fun and not as a serious project. I haven't really seen any games that are actually active and hold lots of people (I feel like those kinds of games are the best kinds of games). Is there any particular reason for that? Is there something about GameMaker that makes it unsuitable for (large) online games?

MeBoingus

You should check out games like @BlaXun's Slime Online (1 & 2) and Stick Online. They were fairly popular projects in their prime. GM is not the best engine for MMO development because it is inherently slow and difficult to get set up. GM also has a bit of a negative stigma attached to it, from many moons ago. A lot of people believe it to be a bad/limited engine when compared to something like Unity or actually writing the full engine in C++.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
My studio is working on a serious MMORPG called Kingfall which is built with GameMaker. The project has a very long way to go, but we have established many important foundations and can easily reach millions of players via my existing distribution network. With our focus on supporting this type of truly massive scale, Kingfall could become the most played MMORPG in GM's history (fingers crossed).

M

Minipong

This. Searching for "39dll" would possibly grant you the best results. There's dozens of similar projects in the legacy archives. Also, a 3D MMO Samutale was first being developed in GM:Studio before moving to Unity for it's extended 3d capabilities.
You should check out games like @BlaXun's Slime Online (1 & 2) and Stick Online. They were fairly popular projects in their prime. GM is not the best engine for MMO development because it is inherently slow and difficult to get set up. GM also has a bit of a negative stigma attached to it, from many moons ago. A lot of people believe it to be a bad/limited engine when compared to something like Unity or actually writing the full engine in C++.
Yeah, I've heard of both of these and tried to play them but they seem to either be completely dead or just completely out of reach to the public pretty much... I believe SamuTale has been in dev since like, 2013... not sure why i can't find anywhere to play it

C

Cowlord

Because of this area lacking in GMS, I would start looking to make an extension of one of the back-end-as-service companies, it will save you a lot of time and headache doing everything from scratch.

Playfab, GameSparks, Photon, braincloud, heroiclabs, etc